Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a Good Optical Drive

• Please log in to reply

mike4

mike4

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I built a computer and I actually didn't buy a optical drive. Now I realized I will need one and was wondering if you guys could help me buy one. It need to be 30 dollars or less, be able to read and write dvd's and cd's, and be windows 7 and windows xp compatible. My Case is the Rosewill Cruiser and my motherboard is the TA790GXB3. Tank You

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi mikewang,

There are usually the two I've been recommending... Both under $30.

Sony Optiarc
LG

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Okay i think im going to pick the LG, but it says the Parts are 30 days limited, what does that mean? And are you sure it can fit into my case and are windows 7 compatible?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

but it says the Parts are 30 days limited

I guess that would mean that the warranty is for 30 days, and I'm not 100% sure what the "limited" means. Probably certain parts are covered, and others aren't, not sure.

If you are looking for a better warranty, the Sony drive seems to be better.

And are you sure it can fit into my case and are windows 7 compatible?

Yes, all cases have a universal 5.25" drive bay openings and both of those will fit that opening perfectly. Also, yes... they are compatible with Windows 7, Vista, and XP. Any drive you pick will be. No driver installation required, the OS has built in drivers that will recognize the unit as soon as you start your computer up and automatically install the drivers.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Here is an LG one with a 1 year warranty... HERE CD/DVD burners are so cheap now days, they are a dime a dozen really. Any one you pick will do a fine job. I would always pick one that is CD ROM, DVD-ROM, CD Burner, and DVD Burner. (Does everything). There are tons to choose from, Newegg usually being the cheapest place to go.

Some only burn DVD's or just burn CD's, so you have to look at the specifications tab and make sure it does everything you want.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Oh that driver feature is very nice. Thanks a lot for the help.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Samsung SH-S223 (22X DVD burner) - $24.99 with Free Shipping
http://www.newegg.co.....msung SH-S223

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Samsung SH-S223 (22X DVD burner) - $24.99 with Free Shipping

According to the specifications tab, that drive can only burn DVD's and then read DVDs and CDs, it doesn't allow for CD burning.

Copy and Pasted from Newegg.

WRITE Speed
DVD+R 22X
DVD+RW 8X
DVD-R 22X

READ Speed
DVD-ROM 16X
CD-ROM 48X

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I think im going to go with the sony one because of its good reviews, good warrenties,and the prices are close. THANKS EVERYOne

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Wait I have another question. I looked up my case and it says it has 4 3.5 inch internal slots, but no 5.25 inch internal slots... How can I have a optical drive then?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Quoted from Newegg's specifications tab on the Rosewill Cruiser. <--Click There

External 5.25" Drive Bays 5
External 3.5" Drive Bays 1 x 5.25" to 3.5" adapter
Internal 3.5" Drive Bays 4
Expansion Slots 7

See where I bolded in Red External 5.25" Drive Bays? You have 5 of them. That is what the optical drives go in. Here is an image I made for you. See the red circle? Those are "External 5.25" Drive Bays"

Posted Image

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Ahhh. Sorry for not seeing your previous post.... Now I realize what internal and external really mean. :-P. Also, I want to reformat this computer, but I don't want to install the OS right now. How do I format the hard drive, but not install an OS? I want to get rid of all files, except the bios files and the necessary files to install a new OS. THANKs

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You would need to connect the hard drive to another computer as a secondary drive. Obviously do this when the computer is off. Then turn the computer on and go to:
  • Start
  • Run...
  • Type "diskmgmt.msc" without the quotes
  • Click Ok
  • Select the disk you want to format by clicking once on it
  • Right Click it
  • Select Format...
  • Follow the instructions
Afterwards, it will be an empty disk, everything is erased. Most people would just wait to format when they install the OS.

Edited by Ferrari, 16 February 2010 - 09:05 PM.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
okay, so no way for me to format it when i'm using the computer? Because I know when you reinstall a OS you have a choice of formatting or not.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

okay, so no way for me to format it when i'm using the computer?

No not really. You need to be working on an OS to format it and by default, disk management will not allow you to format your main drive through disk management.

There may be a way to do this by running on a Linux Live CD, but I'm unfamiliar with how to do this.

Is there any special reason why it NEEDS to be formatted before you install the OS? Like I had said, most people would just do this when they install the OS, because once the drive is formatted, you won't be able to do anything with the computer but go to the BIOS. It will be a dead machine basically.