Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Edit postDelete postReport this postReply with quoteHelp! Keyboard

• Please log in to reply

xxsassxx31

xxsassxx31

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello all, I recently bought a Gateway NV5302u (of course MFC) and I love it as it was very inexpensive for its price while being a powerful computer. For some reason, it was bothering me that a little speckle was inside my keyboard and my little spray cleaning gun tool couldn't get the little speckle, so I lacked common sense and got a paperclip and stretched out the sharp side and tried to remove it manually.

After I did this, all of a sudden some of my keyboard letters stopped working. The keyboard letters that stopped working are m, b, h, n, u, y, 8 .

I don't know what to do. I need my laptop and I don't know if there is something I can do to manually possibly reset something that I may have done to the keyboard. Thank God for the Windows 7 on-screen keyboard, and for Dragon naturally speaking program, but I really need to have my keyboard working and not having some of the letters not working really is slowing me down.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know anything I can do to solve this problem. Thanks again for your help and I know it was a stupid dumb headed move that I did but hopefully I can do something to have this fixed. Thanks again everybody!

Edited by xxsassxx31, 16 February 2010 - 01:08 AM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It sounds to me that you accidentally unplugged something or shorted something out when you stuck the paperclip down in there.

As far as I know, there isn't any kind of setting or fix that would fix this. I think you would need to take the keyboard out of the laptop and make sure it is plugged in correctly. This isn't always done easily, so seeing a professional in your area may be best. You might end up having to purchase another keyboard for your laptop... again, having a professional in your area confirm this is probably your best bet.

xxsassxx31

xxsassxx31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Can I possibly "reseat" it? Maybe pushed something out of place?

xxsassxx31

xxsassxx31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Yeah that's what I'm saying, something may have just come unplugged or jarred loose. Every laptop made is put together differently, so I don't know how to tell you to do that. That's why I say it may be best to have someone look at it that has experience with these things.

Your manual might tell you how to connect the keyboard, not sure. But, you definitely don't want to do even more damage, ya know? If you don't know for sure what your doing, I'd be very careful.

xxsassxx31

xxsassxx31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks buddy, I will let you know what I eventually decide to do... In the meantime I guess I was up to resort to using Dragon naturally..