Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Continuously Reboots

• Please log in to reply

Ryuzaki61

Ryuzaki61

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey Geeks to Go.
I've owned a Dell XPS600 for a good four or five years now. I've had my ups and downs with the system, and it was fairly crippled after my Dad tried to download a Registry program of some sort. This wound up crippling my computer by disabling it's ability to play sound or recognizing my CD-Drive and DVD-Drive. After some time, the sound began working again. My CD-Drive and DVD-Drives are now functioning as well, although not ideally. I have to go to My Computer and select different drives than what they used to be (D and E now became G and H. However, D and E are still listed and such.) But besides this, the computer hasn't had much problems.

With that bit of history out of the way, now to my current problem. Not knowing the chaos that went with it, I installed SP3 a week or so ago in order to see if I could get a MMO to function. Nothing was wrong until tonight, when I was browsing the internet with Google Chrome and my computer was hit with a Blue Screen of Death. Unfortunately, I panicked, and restarted the computer before writing down what the exact error message was.

Now, whenever my computer starts, it explains that it had to shutdown unexpectedly and gives me options as to how to start it up again. Three of these include Safe Mode. Some of the time when I try this, it gets caught up on the last line and the computer freezes. Other times, the computer simply reboots again.

The other two options are to start Windows with it's last working settings or to start Windows normally. Both of these simply cause Windows to reboot itself again. At times-- usually when I let my computer sit for a while, I get the following Blue Screen:
(Problem been detected text)
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
(FIrst time, if problems continue text)
*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xD78A25B4, 0x00000000, 0x80575562, 0x00000000)

I've been trying my best to Google and research, and these usually lead me to the use of the Recovery Console. I do have a Reinstallation CD for Windows XP that came with the computer (Windows XP was pre-installed), but due to the above problems, I can't get my computer to recognize the CD-Drives. At least I don't think I can. I have tried to move the CD and DVD Drives' boot order to highest priority, but nothing has changed.

So at this point, I'm at a loss of what to do, which is why I've turned to these forums for any help you can give me. I'll check back on this topic at least a few times a day, and try to provide whatever information you need and take any steps you need me to take.

Thank you very much in advance.

Advertisements

Ryuzaki61

Ryuzaki61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey all, I realized that if I use my DVD-ROM, I can boot the Windows XP Reinstall disk. Sorry, amateur mistake that I should have tried a while ago, but at least I got it now.

So it brings me to the following screen:

"Windows XP Home Edition Setup

Welcome to Setup
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft® Windows® XP to run on your computer

To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3."

All seems cool, except when I try pressing R. That brings me to the following screen:

"Windows XP Home Edition Setup

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3."

So I've tried the tips given by that screen.
First, I went to the Boot Device Menu and selected Hard Drive Diagnostics. This gave me:

"Hard Drive Diagnostics running, please wait...
Drive 0: ST3160828AS - Pass
Drive 1: No device
Drive 2: No device
Drive 3: No device
Drive 4: TSSTcorpDVD-ROM TS-H352C - Diagnostics not supported
Drive 5: TSSTcorpCD-RW TS-H292B - Diagnostics not supported"

My guess is that Drive 0 is my hard drive..?
I then went to the Setup, and looked under Drives. At Drive 0: SATA-0 the details are:
"Drive ID = ST3160828AS
Capacity = 160 GB
BIOS = This drive is controlled by the System BIOS"

I can't see it being anything else but my hard drive, given its capacity.

Last, I went to System Partition Menu. Here, I went to the Symptoms Tree and selected Hard Driver Errors. Right now it's going through tests, so I'll reply whenever it finishes.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Do you have SATA hard drive?
If so, you need to load hard drive drivers first.

Ryuzaki61

Ryuzaki61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
While booting from the CD again, I pressed F6 in order to have the CD "install a third party SCSI or RAID driver." However, after loading a few files, it then brings to me the screen:

"Windows Setup

Setup could not determine the type of one or more mass storage devices installed in your system, or you have chosen to manually specify an adapter. Currently, Setup will load support for the following mass storage device(s):

<none>

*To specify additional SCSI adapters, CD-ROM drives, or special disk controllers for use with Windows, including those for which you have a device support disk from a mass storage device manufacturer, press S.

*If you do not have any device support disks from a mass storage device manufacturer, or do not want to specify additioanl mass storage devices for use with Windows, press ENTER."

Pressing S brings me to a screen telling me to insert the disk labeled Manufacturer-supplied support disk into Drive A. Pressing ENTER just brings me to the error screen that says Setup didn't find any hard disk drives installed.

In other words, loading my hard disk drive first is posing a problem...

Ryuzaki61

Ryuzaki61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey all.
Since I've posted here, I've learned that I need to press F6 to install third-party SCSI or RAID drivers when the CD is booting. It's all because I have a SATA hard drive.

I've also followed these steps:
http://www.techspot....ll-XPS-600.html
to make a floppy disk to use in order to have my hard drive installed.

However, I've run into another problem. Upon pressing Enter after putting the floppy disk into the A:/ drive, I get the following error screen:

"The file txtsetup.oem could not be found.
Press any key to continue."

First, I checked to see if txtsetup.oem is on the floppy-- which it is.
Following this, I went back and re-downloaded the file and re-copied the current folder and tried again. No differences.
I went onto Google and a strategy I found was to simply re-format the floppy. Tried that, and it still didn't work.

The next-closest strategy that came up was
http://www.techsuppo....-resolved.html
But it's a little more extravagant, so I wanted to see if you all had any input before I begin.

Ryuzaki61

Ryuzaki61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Additional help would be appreciated... Thanks!