Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatic Updates not working, chkdsk stops midway, webcam not recogni

• Please log in to reply

EMDF

EMDF

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
My sister's computer had malware in it, and it wreaked havoc on the system. I made a thread in the Virus, Spyware, and Trojan Removal forum about it [link], and with jwang01's help, was successfully able to get rid of all traces of malware on the system. However, there are still a few problems with the system, so he told me to make a thread here with the issues.

Here's a list of the issues the computer currently has:
  • Automatic updates don't work, and give an error code of 8007000B when it fails. Attempts to fix this with the "fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\" command in both normal and safe modes resulted in a blue screen of death, even when the command prompt was run as administrator. Norton antivirus is unaffected, and continues to update itself.
  • Chkdsk tries to run on startup, finishes stage 1 with 1205 large file records processed, 0 bad files, 0 EA records and 60 reparse records processed. Then it gets stuck at 11% on stage 2 with 208367 of 279474 index entries processed.
  • Built-in webcam is not recognized by the laptop, which is an HP Pavilion dv4-1465dx.

Thanks for any help in advance! :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets fight one gator at a time...

try this...
its worth checking to see if there are any corrupt system files using scannow sfc.

To do this click on start...run...then type in...sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem....

Edited by happyrock, 01 March 2010 - 11:50 AM.

EMDF

EMDF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I had her try that, and it said "Windows couldn't find that command". I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but she has Vista Home Premium 64bit, so maybe that has something to do with it?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have her try again....there is a single space before the /

EMDF

EMDF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Still doesn't work. Is there some setting she needs to enable? Or could it be a side effect of the now-gone malware she had?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
click on start orb then try this go to the run/search box and type in cmd
instead of hitting the Enter key... use Ctrl+Shift + Enter. You will be prompted with the obnoxious User Account Control dialog… but it will then open up a command prompt in Administrator mode...
then type sfc /scannow and press enter

EMDF

EMDF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
It didn't work this time either. Should I have her try it in Safe Mode?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and download a vista recovery dvd...It is a 120 MB download, and in the standard ISO format...

get either Windows Vista 32-Bit or Windows Vista 64-Bit (x64) if you have a 64 bit OS

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its Vista 32-Bit (x86).iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

boot from the Vista 32-Bit (x86).iso cd....
type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

Edited by happyrock, 04 March 2010 - 07:35 AM.

EMDF

EMDF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Just to let you know, my sister won't be able to get a blank CD until Monday, so that's the earliest she can do the instructions (she lives in her own apartment in a different city than me, so I'm relaying her any and all instructions you give). She tends to stall sometimes, so if I don't respond for days, I'm waiting for a response from her.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'll be here... :)

EMDF

EMDF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Sorry about the exceptionally long delay. I kept reminding my sister, but she kept putting it off as she didn't have the time. About a week and a half ago her pre-installed Norton antivirus expired, and she had trouble installing Avira AntiVir as well as AVG. Something about a redistributable kit that she didn't take care of. Not long after, she got a virus, and it wouldn't let any programs other than Internet Explorer and Firefox run, including Java (so I couldn't use an online scanner like Kapersky). She traded her laptop for another one we had, so I ended up taking the hard drive out, putting it in an external enclosure I had, and removing the virus through MalwareBytes Anti-Malware on another computer. I attempted to go to the recovery console and do any chkdsk (including with the "/r" argument), and although it got farther in the second step than before, it still got stuck.

I ended up backing up every non-system file she had to an external hard drive (plus a few folders in "program files"), getting serial numbers for her programs with a couple of free utilities I had, and used the recovery console to restore the computer to factory default. After it was restored to factory default, I downloaded Avira AntiVir, Firefox, and FoxIt PDF Viewer; installed them; punched in the serial numbers to any programs that needed it; restored her files; and updated the computer fully with Windows Update. I then gave her the two text files containing the serial numbers, and gave the computer back.

Now Windows Update works again, her webcam functions normally, and every other problem she had was solved. Although it was probably not necessary to go to that extent to fix the computer, it would've taken an incredibly long time to correct the problems listed in this thread, and the newer problem of programs not wanting to install, using any other method. I thank you for all your help, and I did use the recovery disk you linked me to, but unfortunately I can't give a solution for those experiencing the same problem in this thread. But the computer is fixed, so you can mark this thread as solved. :)