Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to upgrade mobo and cpu in my old pc.

• Please log in to reply

galectric

galectric

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a HP Pavilion a345w desktop computer. I've added a 2nd DVD burner (Sony DRU-710a) and a 2nd hard drive (Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250gb) and am maxed out at 1gb of PC133 DDR1-333 SDRAM / PC2700 memory. Also added a video card (GeForce FX5500 D256M), a sound card (Creative Labs SB0570), and a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 250 card. All PCI cards.

The power supply just quit working (probably over loaded it). Would like to replace the motherboard and cpu and memory using the existing case and use all my existing devices. Not sure if that is practical. If so, what would you recommend. If I need to replace the case as well, something simple will do. Also what size in watts of power supply should I use. Switching over to an AMD setup would be fine if it woud suit my needs better or just as well.

I use(d) this pc for word processing, somewhat complicated spreadsheets, recording CD's, watching TV and DVD's, listening to music, and files, lots of files. Also email, surfing the web, and occasionally downloading 20 to 250 mb work files. No gaming. I usually have a spreadsheet open, a word document open, a couple of browser windows open and am listening to music all at once but not much more than that. I really don't want to shell out a lot of money for a new system just yet. Hope to upgrade this and make it last for a while longer.

I would really appreciate your help and recommendations.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You'll need to change the board, the processor and the memory. You may as well change the graphics while you're there, though for what you've said you use it for an onboard graphics solution may be better than what you have now. It is realistically going to be a new system when you're finished with it anyway.