Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

F drive thing & weird thing in trash bin & defrag?

• Please log in to reply

DarkStar

DarkStar

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
ok i have 3 probs i really need help with
1. F cd-rom drive.
at first it wouldn't open and still won't but then i went to my computer and the little bottun doesn't show up.

2. once in awhile the recycle bin hows its full and when i go to empty it the question pops up (i mean the usual one that pops up when u delet something) and it asks if i want to delete "windows"
i don't really get it but thats all i know of that sitch

3. is a simple and prob a stupid question to ask but i have OS xp and i just wanted to know how to defrag this thing.
i just don't want to try something and mess up the computer permenatly so i just wanna be sure about this defrag thing.

any help would be great coz i really wanna get these probs cleard up

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have SP2

Click start then all programmes then accessories then system tools then disk defragmenter then click defragment

Click start then run then type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace system files, you need the XP CD and it just goes off when complete. Check to see if recycle bin and CD ROM Drive work.

Click start then run then type chkdsk /f /r then press enter then type Y to confirm for next boot then enter, reboot. It will run most of boot up then go to black screen while it runs, this takes a while so run when you do not need PC

Edited by Keith, 19 May 2005 - 03:05 AM.

DarkStar

DarkStar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
whats SP2?
i also don't have the xp cd

on what u told me which one if for what

i did the defrag thing thankz

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can get SP2 from Windows Update or order a CD from Microsoft, it is the update to XP SP1 and has a few things which are worth having.

sfc /scannow needs the XP CD but you can run chkdsk /f /r to check the hard drive

You should run chkdsk /f /r before getting SP2

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Yup Sp2 is needed for mostly any windows. Most secure and update XP version. You almost need it.