Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aftermath of combop.exe

• Please log in to reply

pop

pop

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi team,

I had combop.exe invade my machine. :tazz: I followed the plan posted here to clean the file, and subsequent scans show all clear. ;)

However, I have a problem which I attribute to this file in that my desktop doesn't load properly. ;)

If I start from scratch and turn the machine on, it goes through all the normal boot up stuff until it gets to the wallpaper. The wallpaper appears on the screen, but before the icons load up, the wallpaper disappears, and a white screen takes its place. The icons then load up. The icon title boxes (all of them) appears in blue, as if highlighted. The screen then randomly commences to flicker or flash and the colour alternates between whilte and a slightly greenish colour.

All other functions appear to work OK, if a bit slow. Any ideas?

Thank you

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click desktop then properties then desktop then customize desktop then click any icon to highlight then click restore default then apply.

If these go on then you could delete your existing desktop icons for other programmes then create new ones

pop

pop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the prompt reply. I tried that fix, but it didn't work. I have noticed a bit of a pattern to the flashing of the screen. It only seems to occur when the mouse is moved. Otherwise the screen remains white, with the icon name boxed in dark blue, as if highlighted. There is not noticable relationship between the speed of the mouse movement and the flashing, which is also intermittent, i.e. not a regular interval between flashes.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ray

sekse

sekse

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The fix is simple. Go to display properties, desktop, customize desktop, go to the web tab, and simply delete the webpage stored there. If you do not have a web tab, there are some registry keys you will need to put in. A search should point you in the right direction.