Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Fully system restore help, if there is anything I can even do.

• Please log in to reply

Abby Rose

Abby Rose

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So I'm not that untech suave but this issue isn't helping me! My father downloaded some sort of virus, I'm not to sure what it is but I can log on to accounts and do something for a min maybe(since it takes that long for anything to load up) then my start panel goes away and these "phony" messages come up saying "your computer has been infected" and a bunch of other stuff.
The computer is a windows XP home edition.
I've tried the "last known good configuration" and that still didn't reset it back far enough. I don't have enough time to be able to do the "Run" or the control panel to open up.
Now I just started to try to use Safe Mode...
guess what it doesn't work! It loads up then once you start up into the admin it's black screen, says safe mode and the windows xp stuff oh and my keyboard isn't working in this mode. My mouse is but there is nothing to do.
I'm thinking this system is pretty well gone.
I don't have the CD... since I can't find it. I have a windows XP media center, but that one is different.
If anyone has anything that I might be able to try. Please let me know, If there is nothing you can think of... tell me not to bother anymore.
I still thought there was a function key that I could push to go directly to a system recovery kinda thing.
Thanks for anything,

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit Abby & Welcome to GtoG..

You may be better served by going into the Malware forum, (it sounds like you've been hit by a possible boot sector virus which can be tricky to get rid of). The most likely reason that your keyboard doesn't work in Safe mode is because its an USB and not old PS2, (some mother boards didn't support USB when in safe mode).

Do you know the make and model of the system? There are ways to recover from these things, but you will need an XP Home CD. Your system should also have a Microsoft product key label. As long as you have that, you can hopefully borrow a XP CD from somewhere.

The restore keystrokes are mostly found on notebook systems, but I have seen a few ACER towers that also had a restore function built in. A lot of these bugs will disable normal system functions like system restore and the Task manager so you will need to be able to get it started from a XP CD somehow.

Post back what the phony program name is, (PC Security? Something like that?). If you can tell us that then I'm pretty sure the Malware folks here will be able to help you out.

Hope this helps... :)

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here