Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sucessfully Reinstalled XP! Hooray! (pause) Uh-oh. Now What?

• Please log in to reply

JackBullet

JackBullet

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hello, all. I've found this site extremely helpful in the past, so I figured you guys were the ones to go to for this particular problem! Here's the whole story:

Dell Dimension randomly started doing the horrifying blue screen thing, "windows shut itself down to prevent further damage, yada yada yada...".

I went on THIS very site, and successfully repaired!

Months later: Computer is running dreadfully, dreadfully slow and freezing after about 15 min. of use. Virus scans starts, finds like 70 things in my cookies folder, then freezes before it's over.

I've been told that I have a corrupted hard drive, and the best option is to back-up and reinstall completely. This is what I did.

So, now that I essentially have a brand new, clean, nothing-on-it-at-all operating system...what do I do? I have absolutely no clue how to get back on the internet, set up "drivers", or essentially do anything at all besides stare at a green field desktop. I tried "setting up a new connection", but that didn't do anything at all. I also was told I'd need my "Drivers and Utilities" disk, which did nothing when I put it in. I have a blank, vacant, mentally disabled computer right now and I am clueless how to get it back to being functional.

Please. Please, please, please help me. You're my only hope.

Edited by JackBullet, 17 February 2010 - 12:12 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It would help if you gave us the make and model of the dimensions comp. There should be a model code on the side or back of the case.Unfortunately when you wiped the drive you probably also wiped the RESTORE partition.

The Dell-specific Ctrl+F11 process is supposed to completely automate the restoration process, returning the hard disk to the state it was in when Dell shipped the computer. However, overwriting the MBR by using a boot manager, using the commands "fixmbr" or "fdisk /mbr", installing from a Windows installation CD, and assorted other tasks a user might do will inadvertantly break Ctrl+F11, rendering the system unable to boot the DSR partition.

How to fix the Ctrl+F11 and DSR process following repartitioning or OS reinstallation.

http://www.goodells....ore/recover.htm

If you cannot or do not want to do the above, you will need to download the drivers from the Dell website so you can get on the internet , etc. Your ISP may help you setup the internet if you already have the drivers installed for your internet. That is why we need your computer info. To helpf you find what you need to get going.

SRX660

JackBullet

JackBullet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hahaha, you probably hear this a lot, but that was basically a different language. Um...the make and model is a Dell Dimension C521. I have a blue disk called "Drivers and Utilities", and I put it in, but had absolutely no idea what I was looking at. So, would I still have to go to the Dell website, or does that disk have the drivers I need to install? Or would it be easier to follow the instructions in the link you posted? Thanks so much for your help!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
More than likely the CD has the drivers you need. If you go thru windows explorer and look at the cd, you may be able to write down the file names and do a google search for each one to find out what they are for. Likewise it may be that Dell has put drivers in folders for each application ( like video drivers in a video or display folder). You can do this and it is a learning experience at the same time. Google is your friend when trying to repair computers.

The goodells website is a good info site on Dell Restore, but you may not need that.

Here are your Network drivers.
http://support.dell....anConsent=False

And here's all the other drivers.
http://support.dell....anConsent=False

The drivers are a exe file, so you remember where you download them to and just double click on the file to run it . They will install in the right place.

Then try getting on the internet.

SRX660

JackBullet

JackBullet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks so much for your help. It turns out everything I needed was on that disk after all. After installing all the drivers, everything is up and running again! One last question. I've re-downloaded all the programs I need (Word, Adobe, iTunes, etc.), but I no longer have any antivirus software. Is there a decent program I can download for free?

Also, I'm getting a lot of automatic Windows updates that are restarting my computer. Is this normal? At least one a day for the past two or three days. Thanks!

JackBullet

JackBullet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks so much for your help. It turns out everything I needed was on that disk after all. After installing all the drivers, everything is up and running again! One last question. I've re-downloaded all the programs I need (Word, Adobe, iTunes, etc.), but I no longer have any antivirus software. Is there a decent program I can download for free?

Also, I'm getting a lot of automatic Windows updates that are restarting my computer. Is this normal? At least one a day for the past two or three days. Thanks!

JackBullet

JackBullet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Sorry...apparently there isn't a way to delete a triple-posting.

Edited by JackBullet, 20 February 2010 - 02:11 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Is there a decent [anti-virus] program I can download for free?

Yes there is... here is what Geekstogo recommends... Free Anti-virus and Anti-Spyware Software If you use an email client like MS Outlook or Thunderbird, I'd recommend Avast! as it has an email scanner. If you don't use Outlook or Thunderbird, then I personally like Avira.

Also, I'm getting a lot of automatic Windows updates that are restarting my computer. Is this normal?

Yes, that is normal. If you'd like to get them out of the way ASAP, In XP, go to Start >> Programs >> Windows Update. Internet Explorer will open and just follow the recommended steps (Express Install) for Windows update. If it asks you to install anything before hand before you can update, go ahead and do so. Do this over and over (after the required restarts), until there are no more updates.