Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build Check

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I just wanted someone to look over a build I'm doing for a friend and make sure I'm not missing something.

This is what I put together. I'm just really wondering about the RAM, since I've never dealt with DDR3 and the power supply. I'm assuming that even though it's "i7 compatible" that it doesn't matter that I'm using a Quad Core Intel?

The RAM has me confused, because NewEgg lists 2 different types of DDR3 1333 RAM. One as PC-10600 and the other at PC-10666. Also, is DDR3 RAM supposed to be used in groups of 3 DIMMs as opposed to pairs?

The HDD's are going to be in RAID 1 and according to the MOBO manual, it has onboard hardware RAID 1.

Thanks!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80580Q8400 - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3LR LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK - Retail

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit for System Builders - OEM

SAPPHIRE 100295HDMI Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ... - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

BYTECC Black 1.44MB Internal Floppy Drive Mac OS 8.6/9.0/9.0.2/9.0.4/9.1 Win 98/2000/ME/XP/Vista - Retail

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

LITE-ON DVD Writer - Bulk - Black SATA Model iHAS224-06 LightScribe Support - OEM

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 17 February 2010 - 09:34 AM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

The RAM has me confused, because NewEgg lists 2 different types of DDR3 1333 RAM. One as PC-10600 and the other at PC-10666. Also, is DDR3 RAM supposed to be used in groups of 3 DIMMs as opposed to pairs?

The RAM you linked to is for 1.65v and the motherboard specs via Giga-byte.com suggests 1.5v, so I would try this G.Skill set, almost identical except the voltage. The RAM you linked to might work, not 100% sure how close the voltage needs to be. Also, DDR3 has triple channel sets because the i7/X58 (socket 1366) setup uses triple channel memory configuration. Your socket 775 setup uses dual channel. Like this...

Triple Channel - 3 x 2gb = 6gb or 3 x 1gb = 3gb
Dual Channel - 2 x 2gb - 4gb or 2 x 1gb - 2gb. See?

The HDD's are going to be in RAID 1 and according to the MOBO manual, it has onboard hardware RAID 1.

Always go to the motherboards website to confirm things like cpu support, RAID Support, Memory Speeds, and anything really. Don't always trust online retailers to transfer the information accurately, however Newegg does a pretty good job. Gigabytes website says this motherboard supports SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

and the power supply

"Compatible with Core i7" is really just for marketing purposes. That power supply will do just fine, a very nice choice. It has the appropriate 24pin Power connector and a 4/8pin CPU power connector. Also has plenty of PCI-E power connectors if your friend ever upgrades to a higher end/more power hungry video card.

Now, you chose Windows XP 32bit, that will only recognize about 3.5gb of RAM, is that OK? If you want the full 4gb recognized, then I suggest XP 64bit (though I've never used XP 64bit) or upgrade to Windows 7 64bit which I've had absolutely no troubles with.

Here are some cheaper prices for the OS: XP 32bit??? (Doesn't say 32 or 64) 7 32bit, 7 64bit. I couldn't find a XP 64bit on Newegg's site, but you can find it online somewhere. Also note, that XP Home is identical to XP Pro except for more sophisticated features like networking and such. Really all the "normal" person would need is Home. FYI: Windows 7 Pro, and Ultimate support XP Mode (a virtual machine of XP) the Home version does not.

Other than that, the build is compatible, just take a look at the RAM I mentioned. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

The RAM you linked to is for 1.65v and the motherboard specs via Giga-byte.com suggests 1.5v, so I would try this [url="http://\"http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231189\""]G.Skill set[/url], almost identical except the voltage. The RAM you linked to might work, not 100% sure how close the voltage needs to be.

Ah, I didn't even catch the discrepancy. I've changed the RAM substituting the set you suggested.

Also, DDR3 has triple channel sets because the i7/X58 (socket 1366) setup uses triple channel memory configuration. Your socket 775 setup uses dual channel. Like this...

Triple Channel - 3 x 2gb = 6gb or 3 x 1gb = 3gb
Dual Channel - 2 x 2gb - 4gb or 2 x 1gb - 2gb. See?

Got it, thanks for the clarification. That's how I figured it worked, but just wanted to check with an expert. :)

Always go to the motherboards website to confirm things like cpu support, RAID Support, Memory Speeds, and anything really. Don\'t always trust online retailers to transfer the information accurately, however Newegg does a pretty good job. Gigabytes website says this motherboard supports SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

Yeah, I've noticed that too in the past. That's why I checked the manual just to be sure, but I didn't even think about checking RAM voltage.

Now, you chose Windows XP 32bit, that will only recognize about 3.5gb of RAM, is that OK? If you want the full 4gb recognized, then I suggest XP 64bit (though I've never used XP 64bit) or upgrade to Windows 7 64bit which I've had absolutely no troubles with.

He and I talked about that and he would like to stick with XP for now. I guess he uses Quickbooks and some other software that isn't compatible with 7 yet. I know he could run the compatibility mode within 7, but he said he doesn't want to deal with that.

I was looking for the 64-bit version too, but perhaps it's unavailable from NewEgg.

I guess the big selling point for him is that XP Home doesn't have a built in RDC which is something he said he would like to use. I guess he's just too lazy to walk upstairs and want's to use his laptop. I can't blame him, since I use my iPhone to control mine from the couch if I need something. :)

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Thanks Ferrari. I feel much better having a second set of eyes check things out for me. I appreciate your time. On a side note, do you own a Ferrari by chance? My dream car is a 355 or 360 Spyder. :)

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 17 February 2010 - 01:53 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

On a side note, do you own a Ferrari by chance?

I wish! I just really like Ferrari's. I'm not completely obsessed, but if I ever have the money/job to buy an exotic car, a Ferrari is first on the list. :)

but just wanted to check with an expert

I know how you feel, to this day when I'm putting a build together for someone I always look inside my computer (has a window) to make sure I'm not forgetting to include something like the power supply. :) I once quoted someone on a build here in my town, and I forgot list the power supply in the email... so I had to remail it with the correction... it didn't come off very professional. Oh well... :)

Good luck with the build.

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ferrari, have you used XP 64 bit?

I was thinking about upgrading to the 64 bit version and somebody told me that it is difficult finding drivers. I will eventually get Windows 7 but the budget is tight now. I'm not so sure I want to go with Vista either.

The 32 bit Vista version that came with my computer worked OK but there was one application (yahoo voice chat or something like that) that Vista did not support and the proposed fix involved editing my registry! I suppose I need to learn how to do that anyway, but it seemed ridiculous at the time that Vista did not have drivers to make a fairly popular application run. Not to mention the fact that I did not see any improvements with Vista but it used quite a bit more resources. If Vista was more stable it was marginally so (XP rarely crashes for me). It took longer to boot up and took up a good portion of my small hard drive as well.

Maybe most of those things are not a factor with a new system, but I noticed you didn't mention Vista. lol

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Depending on your hardware, XP 64-bit drivers were/are hard to find. XP 32-bit and Windows 7 Ultimate have been rock solid on any of the hardware I've thrown it on. My experience with Vista is more limited, but so far, so good.

Two compelling reasons I see to use a 64-bit Microsoft OS is for RAM support over 4GB and support for 64-bit applications, like SolidWorks, Autodesk 3ds Max, or Adobe Photoshop CS4.

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Two compelling reasons I see to use a 64-bit Microsoft OS is for RAM support over 4GB and support for 64-bit applications, like SolidWorks, Autodesk 3ds Max, or Adobe Photoshop CS4.

I like to play games, so that is why I'm considering a 64 bit OS, the RAM and application support. I thought games support 64 bit but I'm not 100% percent sure on this. I suppose it depends on the game? Maybe one day I can afford CS4, but if I have money for that I'll have money for Windows 7! :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Ferrari, have you used XP 64 bit?

No I haven't, it's really a little bit before my time. I'd go Windows 7 64bit (as long as their is drivers for your hardware) before I'd go with XP 64bit.

I thought games support 64 bit but I'm not 100% percent sure on this. I suppose it depends on the game?

I'm not a hardcore gamer, and all I really play is Crysis... it supports 64bit and automatically installs both 32 and 64. You can choose between playing 32 or 64. It just really depends on the program. Some will automatically recognize you have a 64bit OS and install that version, others you have to pick that when you are at the download site when it says "Select OS".

As time goes on, I'm sure all programs will be 64bit. Just an FYI in case you didn't know, 32bit programs run on 64bit and are located in the "Program Files (x86)" folder on the C:\ drive. 64bit programs are just located in "Program Files".

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Should we assume your friend doesn't do much gaming based on that video card?
I just read a couple of reviews on it; it looks like it has great performance for the price, but I'm assuming you would use a faster card for gaming.