Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless router not working anymore!

• Please log in to reply

therealgeek

therealgeek

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

We used to have a Linksys WRT 54G v8..

It went like this: Telephone line to my ISP modem, modem to the router by cable, router to my PC by cable, router to my other PC wirelessly with one of those wireless USB thingies.

It worked for a while but recently stopped working, so we got another wireless router.. a D-Link. Same installation, we swapped the two routers and installed the disc. It worked for a while, but yesterday, the PC connecting wirelessly won't connect anymore.. I'm not sure what happened..

And hints?

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit therealgeek? and Welcome to GtoG

Since you've changed out the router, the problem is probably with your WiFi system. What exactly is it telling you? ("Limited or no connectivity"?). Have you tried to re-establish the Wifi by repairing the WiFi conn in the system? What kind of signal encryption do you use? Is it a notebook? Some notebooks have switches to turn the WiFi on or off.

Hope this helps...

therealgeek

therealgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey!! Thanks for the reply!

The PC I'm working on is connected to the wireless router with a wire, it's working fine.

However I can't seem to get internet wirelessly on the other computer that is also a desktop PC.

I do believe I'm getting Limited or no connectivity message!!

I think it worked for a while though that's what's odd..

Thanks!

therealgeek

therealgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello again,

Here is some extra information!

The PC that won't connect to the router wirelessly for some reason uses a D-Link range booster or something. It's a sort of USB thing that gets internet wirelessly and gives it to the computer it's connected to.

It detects my wireless connection well and I enter the password and everything and it says it's connected (I think, the bars are green) but then windows gives me its own icons saying the connection is limited or nonexistent and another one that says that a network cable is unplugged or something.

Thanks for any help!

therealgeek

therealgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I fixed my problem by changing the security settings from WAP to WEP!

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Good to hear. Hope that it stays stable. What kind of WiFi system does this workstation use, (USB or PCI card?) If it does fail again and its a USB, try to change the USB port it's plugged into. If its a PCI internal card, open the case and inspect it. If it has a layer of dust on it, gently clean it off. (Actually look at the CPU heat sink and memory chips as well for any dust deposits).

Changing from WAP to WEP refreshed your connection but it may again lose connectivity.