Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random shutdowns and BSoD's

• Please log in to reply

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
One of my computers has been shutting down by itself recently and having random BSoD's and I don't know why, I've ran dumpchk on my minidump, can anybody see whats wrong?

EDIT: Checked CPU temps, It's an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ which can support temps from 49c-55c or something like that, the temperature I seen just before was only 44c so I don't blame the CPU overheating since the random power offs and BSoD's happened while the computer was just idle.

Attached Files

• Attached File  dump.txt   42.95KB   115 downloads

Edited by stupidhomer, 17 February 2010 - 01:08 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download WhoCrashed, using the link in my signature. Run the program and paste the results in your next post.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 16/02/2010 03:56:13 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x8F, 0x35470, 0xEB00, 0x0)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021610-01.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

1 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

EDIT: Computer just shut itself off again but this time no blue screen, just straight off, mom says the hard drive made a loud screeching noise before it went off

Edited by stupidhomer, 17 February 2010 - 05:16 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Click Start > Run. Type sfc /scannow in the dialog box. Please note the space before /. Let the process run. You may have to use your XP installation CD. The process ends when the dialog box disappears.

chavi

chavi

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi stupidhomer , first set the correct symbol path in Windbg , example SRV*c:\websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols.And post again dump .Or attach minidump.dmp file.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
@The Skeptic I don't have the XP CD for it, the XP on it was installed by my moms friend who then took the CD with him. My mom says she knows its the hard drive because of the noises coming from it so she'll just buy another hard drive

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If I may suggest, please double check that the noise is indeed from the HD and not from one of the fans. To do this you have to open the left side cover (looking from the front backward), run the computer and try to locate the source of the noise.