Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Backup question

• Please log in to reply

cwilmot01

cwilmot01

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have 3 computers networked through a router. Can I backup all 3 to a common, very large,ext. HD? If so, would I have to first partition said drive or how would I segregate the contents of each computer? TIA. cwilmot01

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Are you looking to do a file backup from each machine, or do you want to image them in case of a HDD failure or OS corruption?

There are some paid and free programs that I really like for backups and images. My favorite is Genie Soft Backup Manager. It makes things nice, easy and automatic. I have two jobs that I run, one for my Image that runs every couple months and another that takes care of my daily backup. That way if I have a HDD failure, I just load the image from the secondary drive and restore my data that changes on a daily basis. You can be back up and running in no time at all.

They also have a new program called Genie TimeLine, but I haven't used it yet, nor have I gotten a chance to read their documentation.

There is another program that seems pretty popular for images, called DriveImage XML.

A couple things to note about images. Before creating one, be sure that your PC is functioning properly, clear all temp files and run a scan with your anti-virus program to ensure you are imaging a clean PC.

As for backup storage, you might want to look into picking up a NAS. That will make your life much easier. You'll be able to back each PC up to the NAS device, which sits on your network. It's basically a big networked HDD. There is no need to partition the drive, you can just dump each image / backup set into a different folder corresponding to the 3 different PC's.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 17 February 2010 - 02:58 PM.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,912 posts
Many people out there use Windows Home Server for backups. It can help with backing up all your machines if you build it with enough hard drive space.
http://www.microsoft...er/default.mspx