Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply

BrendonLuvsU

BrendonLuvsU

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi-
my computer has win xp pro loaded and recently my cd rom/writer and dvd reader drives quit working. just incase its needed- my pc is among the most common in the line of win 98 pavillions, but i have done a LOT of upgrades. (RAM, hd, graphics, pci's, i can get the product number if its needed later. in my device manager, it shows a yellow exclamation mark on both, and the info reads the code most know about a "problem with the devices configuration information in the registry." i did the fix that usually solves this- deleting the lower and upper filters in the registry. unfortunately unlike 95% of victims of this, it didnt fix it, so i researched further and found that its a more serious problem that has to do with the operating system itself- not just the registry or drivers. is there ANYTHING i can try other than running the repair for my xp? i dont have the disc for it, but i have my product key. also, i posted a problem with a blinking cursor on my recently gained Dell, after swapping my hd. thats in the hardware section. i wasnt exactly sure where i should have put this topic, though.

edit= hd issue has been resolved. not doable. (caused by a lack of essential knowledge in my brain book)
Love and Rockets

another edit= just learned that i cant use my product key with an xp setup cd.

-Brendon

Edited by BrendonLuvsU, 17 February 2010 - 06:01 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks 2 Go!

Have you tried 'rolling back' the system to a date before the problem started, using System Restore?

SR will not touch anything in your personal folders (My Documents etc.)

BrendonLuvsU

BrendonLuvsU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have. I'm back to when I made one just incase 2 weeks ago, since i normally do that, and used that one. No happy results, sadly. (I just now used your idea, just to clarify.) Thanks for the suggestion!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Broni's canned speech:

One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thank's to Broni for the instructions

BrendonLuvsU

BrendonLuvsU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
oh this is just dandy. im gonna be trying these top to bottom here soon, and mr shaffer, you are a hero. i havent found 2 of these solutions anywhere else, which is exacly what i was hoping for. i'll post the results soon

thank you very much of course, to "Broni" also.

Edited by BrendonLuvsU, 17 February 2010 - 07:56 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and hopefully one will work for you.