Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Webcam recommendations

• Please log in to reply

capper

capper

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I recently posted that my picture was freezing just about every time I have been on a skype video call. It was suggested that I check the drivers and install any new ones or re0-install them I suppose. The problem is that the little webcam is about 6 or 7 years old and is a Japanese company. In other words, an English website is non-existent and getting drivers is difficult if at all possible.

I am considering the idea of buying a new webcam, as well. I realize that you pretty much get what you pay for in terms of quality. A wireless one would be great but not entirely necessary.

Any suggestions / recommendations?

Advertisements

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have this web cam: Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX

It's not very new, but I'm sure it will be a nice improvement over your old one and it comes with RightLight so you can use it even in low light conditions. It also comes with a headset (at least mine did, you may want to verify).

If you want to spend more money I'm sure you can get a better one, I have seen some web cams that actually track your movement, which looked pretty cool.

I am happy with the above web cam, and I have been happy with all the logitech products I have bought so far. I've had an older logitech web cam, and I'm still using a logitech trackball and a speaker set with subwoofer that was about $50. I've had the speakers for around 5 years, and I was amazed at the sound quality for the price I paid.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826104074

http://www.amazon.co...-...282&sr=1-38

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I took a quick look at the cam above and it does look like an excellent camera.

I did read one note in a review worth mentioning. This may or may not apply to you:

Cons: Myopic (near-sighted) camera. Cannot provide acceptable focus beyond 8-10 feet. Best focus under 4 ft.

Personally I don't really need to focus beyond 4 or 5 feet, so this would not be a con for me.

One user also noted:

"intelligent face tracking" is also gimmicky, it has trouble tracking and insanely slow to respond.

But even if that is the case, this cam is probably worth the price just based on the image quality alone (going by advertised megapixels, lense brand and reviews, I have not used it personally).

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826104074

http://www.amazon.co...-...282&sr=1-38

The VP at my work was looking for a webcam because of the amount of travel he does for the company. He spends a lot of time away from his family and wanted a way to stay in touch when he was on the road. He came to me for suggestions, I did some research and recommended the Pro 9000 to him. He picked up two of them and tried them the next time he was out.

In a nutshell, he loves them. He said they are small and portable, provide a clear picture, great frame rate and even function well using a hotels' WiFi. He also liked how easily they mounted to his laptop screen. He uses them with Skype and has great things to say about the service and the webcam.