Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Bad Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I was trying to fix a Dell XPS 410 that would not boot, so I read up on the POST beeps and suspected the memory. I wasn't sure how to troubleshoot the memory, but I noticed it had memory in 2 slots so I tried removing 1 module and it booted up. I assumed that memory was bad so I was going to buy another one.

Before I bought a replacement I discovered my computer uses the same memory so I plugged the memory into my computer and turned it on. To my surprise my system actually booted up and ran. I'm going to try putting the ram in another slot on the Dell, but now I'm worried that the motherboard could have problems.

Edited by SpaceInvader75, 18 February 2010 - 01:42 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This may be more a simple case of memory creep or chip creep. Chip creep is the process of PC components creeping out of there expansion slot over time. This occurrence is directly caused by the heating and cooling of the ambient temp inside the PC case. As the temperature rises your components, and slots will expand, as the PC cools these same part shrink back down. The constant or frequent expanding and contracting inside your PC causes the "chips" to "creep" and become loose from there assigned slot.

Chip creep can effect all different components and part inside the PC, from hard drives, to PCI slot, and RAM. Even Molex connectors and drive cables can be effected by chip creep and loose solid connection to the hardware. So keep in mind before you throw it out the window or bash it with a hammer... just rebuild it first you may be surprised at what it can fix.

Or to put it another way: Potholes in the road occur in the same sort of way.

Edited by Neil Jones, 18 February 2010 - 07:45 AM.

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks! I've never heard of that term before, but when you explained it to me, it makes perfect sense that this could happen over time. Maybe I was thinking if it had a loose connection it would not produce any beeps. It certainly won't hurt to check that.

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well, I put the memory back in the Dell and it appears to be working, so I'm hoping it was in fact chip creep. I'm glad I tested the memory before buying a new one and throwing it out, but thanks to your suggestion I will make sure I reconnect things first, just to be sure.