Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Status' disk?

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
.NET Framework SDK is Software Development Kit...its not the same...

and the only high priority update there is Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5)

if you read my earlier post ...you would see I told you to get that one first..(3.5 SP1)

Advertisements

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I did get 3.5 SP1 first--without the part about the Family Update. The Family Update thing just showed up in Microsoft Update after the reboot after installing 3.5 SP1.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then get it too...and get anything else it wants to update

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
That was the only high-priority one it wanted to do. I did that, rebooted, and now it has lots more that it wants to do, including another update to the 3.5 (Update to .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 x86).

In addition to lots of Security Updates for Windows XP, there are a couple more related to .NET Framework:

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 SP3 Security Update for Windows XP Tablet PC and Media Center

and

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003 and Wincows XP.

Still not seeing anything about .NET Framework 1.1.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just keep getting them until it says you don't need any...

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
So far, the only installations that have failed:

Office XP Service Pack 3
Security Update for Microsoft Works 8
Update for Microsoft Silverlight.

I also get that thing prompting me to insert a status disk.

When I reboot and go back into Microsoft Update, it prompts for those 3 failed updates plus Security Update for CAPICOM. Should I try them again? I do have some restore points this time that I can go back to if needed.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have Office XP installed on your computer...if so... try getting that update

do you use Silverlight or have Silverlight installed on your computer..if so... try getting that update

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
OK, I tried a few more times, and I initially couldn't install those. I was away for a few days, and then this morning when I tried, all but the Microsoft Works 8 update installed successfully. I've still been getting the prompt for the status disk.