Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logitech web cam driver problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I recently attempted to reinstall the drivers for my Logitech communicate STX web cam, and things aren't working very well. I've been pretty happy with Logitech products but I am starting to get annoyed with this one.

There's no model number on the camera, and when I look for the pictures on Logitech's site it isn't there. When I used Logitech's utility to detect the hardware, that didn't work either. I finally had to look up pictures of my cam on google so I could figure out which one it was. When I did a search on Logitech's site I still could not find the correct drivers. I even found them listed on CNET as a download, but it refers me back to the Logitech site and the download is apparently not there.

So I finally tried auto detect with XP, and it appeared to work (the model was identified correctly, I installed the drivers, and the cam looked like it was working because it took a picture. I installed an update for the drivers that automatically came up. But I was going to try it out more and I switched the USB port (because I didn't want to leave it plugged into the front). Now when I plug the cam in windows tries to detect it again.

When I tried to open up the camera to take video the software informs me that the device is not connected or not working correctly and to reconnect it, which doesn't help. I'm not sure what to do next, but I'm tempted to throw it out the window and buy another brand of web cam!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried rebooting with the webcam plugged into the back
how about rebooting with the webcam plugged into the original (front)usb port when you installed the driver...

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I just rebooted and windows detected my cam again so I reinstalled the drivers. I'll see if that works. If not, I will try the front USB again, likely followed by kicking and swearing! :)

Edited by SpaceInvader75, 18 February 2010 - 10:42 AM.

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
It appears reinstalling the drivers worked (then again, I thought they were working before lol) so hopefully kicking and more swearing won't be necessary, but thank you.

I still wish Logitech would have made it easier for me to find my drivers; I was lucky that Windows detected it. It's been my experience in the past that Windows is not very good at finding the correct drivers. Maybe I should be more careful with my CD-ROM/DVDs but I always seem to lose them.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Maybe I should be more careful with my CD-ROM/DVDs but I always seem to lose them.

you can pick up a cd wallet that will hold about 20 cd/dvds for 3 bucks at wallyworld (walmart)...
saves a ton of frustration/searching... :)

SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
That might be a good investment of $3!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this appears to be solved so I'll close it...