Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Battery Problem

• Please log in to reply

sez63

sez63

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an Advent laptop and i have been advised to remove the battery because it is faulty and is causing further problems with the functioning capability of the laptop. I am not just using the power cable which obviously needs to be plugged in all the time whilst I want it to work. My question is if I do unplug the power lead while I am not using it and then plug it in somewhere else, will this cause the laptop to crash? Do I now have to continuously have my laptop plugged in?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

My question is if I do unplug the power lead while I am not using it and then plug it in somewhere else, will this cause the laptop to crash?

Well if the computer is on and you unplug the laptop it would be like unplugging a hair dryer while it is on, it will just shut off instantly because that is it's only power source. So in order to move the laptop somewhere else, it is much safer to shut down the computer properly via Start >> Shutdown and then unplug the power cord. Then restart the computer once you have moved it to the next location and have plugged the power cord into the laptop.

If you just unplug the laptop while it is on, next time you start the computer you will get a screen like this... And that is not safe... it could cause problems with the hardware.

Posted Image

So yes, once the computer is off you can unplug the power cord and move the laptop.

Edited by Ferrari, 18 February 2010 - 12:04 PM.