Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer locks up intermittently

• Please log in to reply

publishingcoach

publishingcoach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Still acting up, I'm afraid.

I noticed what may be a new clue. When I was printing something from a pdf, all of a sudden, instead of going to the printer I had chosen as default--the printer it's been going to for many pages and hours--it went to "Auto Microsoft Image Writer." This has happened before, too. I know I did nothing else between that time and the time before, when it would print from my selected printer.

(As a sidenote, I do have both FoxIt REader and Adobe. You suggested Foxit. I tried that today and it's not exactly the same. A function I need for my current project--showing the page number I'm on--is not the same in Foxit. So I am using Adobe Reader for this project.)

One other thing I noticed. I have a program called Results Machine that I really love, but something weird is happening. It randomly resets itself (as in, clears out the reports and things I added to customize it). Another suspicious thing is the Help link goes nowhere. That may be because it's probably a private label for something I just discovered called The Action Machine. Details here: http://www.theactionmachine.com/.

I just investigated this software, and suspect it's the problem. It looks like Results Machine is actually a either a private label ot ripped off-version (which I got for $1 as as a bonus for joining someone's membership) of ActionMachinePro. I found some possibly relevant info here: http://actionmachine...aq_restore_data.

Could it be that the Results Machine is a version of ActionMachnePro that is messing things up for me? Or maybe it's the earlier version of ActionMachinePro. Here's what I found about the latest version of AMP:
Version 2.3 Changes:

There were several minor changes in version 2.3, most of which will go unnoticed to you.

The biggest change was the removal of built-in image backgrounds (you may STILL customize the application background with your own images).

The reason for this is that the built-in images (which were mostly in hi-definition) were causing the application to consume a lot of memory and resources on some machines.

Do you think I'm onto something? I've sent an email to the owner of ActionMachinePro. We'll see if and what I get in response. I'm asking if this could be my problem and if v 2.3 would fix it. I'd have to buy his software, but am willing to do that if necessary.

I really love this software and would like to keep it somehow!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Let's see, it you'll get any reply.

publishingcoach

publishingcoach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm beginning to think it's malware. But I scanned with the suggested software and nothing has come up. I update AVG daily.

Whenever I send an email out from my 1shoppingcart account, I start to get spam ostentibly from me, the same address as that email. I don't know if this is related or not.

Still searching for an answer, I guess....

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

publishingcoach

publishingcoach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Baroni,

Before I do the malware forum thing, I wonder if you can respond to this.

I did a sigverify and came up with a number of unsigned device drivers, most it seems related to .avm files. Here's from the report:
avi7.avg 7/9/2008 None Not Signed N/A
iavichjw.avm 10/26/2009 None Not Signed N/A
incavi.avm 3/15/2010 None Not Signed N/A
microavi.avg 1/19/2010 None Not Signed N/A
miniavi.avg 9/30/2009 None Not Signed N/A
[c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc]
hosts 6/24/2009 None Not Signed N/A

1028_dell_ins_530s.m 6/17/2008 None Not Signed N/A
lvfal000.cfg 12/16/2008 None Not Signed N/A
lvfel000.cfg 12/16/2008 None Not Signed N/A
lvfel001.cfg 12/16/2008 None Not Signed N/A
lvfel002.cfg 12/16/2008 None Not Signed N/A

Could this be causing my intermittent freezing issues? One I noticed had a date around when I noticed the issue: 10/26/09. Should I disable these drivers? If so, how do I know which program it's a driver for, from what's above?

Thanks again for your help. I had to take a break from this for a big project deadline, but now I'm back at it as this has been going on too long!