Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I remove Security Updates and Updates for Windows

• Please log in to reply

cphillips

cphillips

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi,

I was helping my husband install a new antivirus program and uninstall additional antivirus programs he may have on his computer and I found a large amount of Security Updates and Updates for Windows in the Add/Remove Software list.

Are these needed or can they be removed?

Advertisements

Nauni

Nauni

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello cphillips

Welcome to GeeksToGo, my name is nauni. It is best to leave those updates, Microsoft releases security updates that address specific issues. Unless you install and keep the updates, you will not be protected from that particular issue. The issues can range from very small fixes to issues that could allow hackers, viruses, and other malicious attacks against your machine. My best advice to you is to leave them installed and make sure that you do updates on a regular basis.

Thank you
Nauni

dm27

dm27

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hello cphillips,

Do you have the "Show Updates" box checked on the Add or Remove Programs window? If so, that may be why your seeing all of those updates...

It would be best to leave those Updates alone (do not uninstall them).

Hope this helps...

dm

Edited by dm27, 18 February 2010 - 04:57 PM.

cphillips

cphillips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I will check to see if that box is checked. Thank you for the information.