Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD caused by Windows Update MS10-015 (KB977165)

• Please log in to reply

Scoot Boot

Scoot Boot

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The following site http://www.krebsonse...ndows-xp-users/ has the latest informaion about a BSOD that might occur when you install the Windows Update MS10-015 (KB977165). The author gives 5 steps to fix the problem--it involves starting from the repair screen/recovery console.

According to this site---"If you use Windows XP and haven’t yet updated your system with the applicable security updates that Microsoft issued Tuesday, you might want to hold off for a bit. Turns out, a non-trivial number of XP users are reporting that their systems suffer from the dreaded Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) and fall into an interminable reboot loop after installing the latest batch of patches from Redmond."

Before I knew about this problem, I downloaded this update (KB977165) and installed it and got a BSOD on reboot. Info on this screen was:
1st line---
10digit #, then in parens ( 10digits, 10 digits, 10 digits, 10 digits).
2nd line---
ctoss2k.sys - address F64FC57A base at F64FA0000 Data stamp 3E81578E.
Then on the next line--- "dump of physical memory" msg.

When I rebooted, pressed the F8 key, I went to the resart page that allows you to reboot in normal mode, safe mode, etc. I selected the mode "last know good configuration" and rebooted.

Since then my system has worked fine. My question---is there a way to undo this windows update fix without having to go to the repair screen/recovery console suggested in the 5 steps in the url link above?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

is there a way to undo this windows update fix

yep...go to the add remove programs section in the control panel...put a tick in the box show updates
find the update and click on remove it...
that problem has been reported on systems that have a rootkit on them so... start a new topic
here...tell them I sent you and be sure to include the KB977165 info in the topic description...

Edited by happyrock, 21 February 2010 - 10:00 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you did not start a topic in the malware section... :)
you probably are infected with TDL3

Backdoor.Tidserv does a very good job in that sense, especially with the latest version (TDL3), which uses an advanced rootkit technology to hide its presence on a system by infecting one of the low-level kernel drivers and then covering its tracks. While the rootkit is active there is no easy way to detect the infection, and because it goes so deep into the kernel, most users cannot see anything wrong in the system.

you really should get checked out...

Scoot Boot

Scoot Boot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

you did not start a topic in the malware section... :)
you probably are infected with TDL3

Backdoor.Tidserv does a very good job in that sense, especially with the latest version (TDL3), which uses an advanced rootkit technology to hide its presence on a system by infecting one of the low-level kernel drivers and then covering its tracks. While the rootkit is active there is no easy way to detect the infection, and because it goes so deep into the kernel, most users cannot see anything wrong in the system.

you really should get checked out...

Thanks for replying back. I clicked on the button to the left of the screen that reads "New Topic"???
Been a long weekend---meant to say button to the RIGHT that reads "New Topic"!

Edited by Scoot Boot, 21 February 2010 - 09:02 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here for the how to guide