Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yet another "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or

• Please log in to reply

guitguy73

guitguy73

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi everyone! I'm posting on here because I was really excited to see how helpful everyone was being, even if it didn't help me, specifically.
Anyway, last night I installed Sophos Endpoint Security and Control, as it was available from my university and thought I needed a new booster shot for my security. Soon after installing it, I started receiving massive amounts of pop-ups and notifications for Antivirus XP 2010, which I discovered to be malware. I searched online for removal tips and decided to install Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware to get rid of it. Everything seemed to go smoothly, but when I restarted my computer I started getting the message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." when I clicked on anything important, from Firefox to User Accounts in Control Panel. If someone could point me in the right direction or help me out, it would be most appreciated. I've got tests coming up soon, so this timing is a little unfortunate.

Thanks everyone!

Advertisements