Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FreeBSD 8.x help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

imafool4u

imafool4u

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
I installed Opera and Wine and i can't run either of them. I get the following when running each one:

$ wine utorrent.exewine: '/root' is not owned by you, refusing to create a configuration directory there$ opera [url="http://google.com"]http://google.com[/url]opera: cannot connect to X serveropera: Fatal error on creating Qt application object

Help please! :)

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
This means that you must first start an xserver. Xserver is the graphical environment used in many UNIX-like OSes such as BSD and Linux. I am not a *BSD user but I assume that install xserver will look something like this:

# pkg_add xserver-xorg

You may have to do some searching to find the actual package name. However, this alone will not be enough (unless you know your way around an xserver config file), therefore you also need a window manager. Without a window manager, you can not move windows around. Depending on your used you might want a full desktop environment. Some of these include: Gnome, KDE, and XFCE.

I also notice you are trying to run a Windows application. If you want to run a Windows applications, use Windows IMO. There are literally tons of torrent applications to choose from in POSIX compliant OSes (*BSD, Linux, Solaris). Torrents is an iffy subject around here but many open source projects are distributed via torrent.

If this is your first venture into a UNIX-like OS, *BSD might not be the best place to start. There are many Linux distros out there that make it much easier to learn about things such as xserver. Gentoo specifically will take loads of time to setup and configure, but the documentation is simple walkthroughs that will teach you the ins and outs of UNIX software.

You should also note that amount of time it took to get support on this site. This website is primarily for Windows support. Although it offers a wide variety of support, the community is almost entirely Windows users (some Windows users w/ Linux on the side). Open Source software is typically officially supported by some form of community. This is often via IRC channels and mailing lists. You should check out irc.freenode.net and consider signing up to mailing lists for your chosen OS/distro.

Let me know if you are in need of any more assistance.

Edited by Titan8990, 23 February 2010 - 07:40 AM.

imafool4u

imafool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Thanks I forgot I had already posted this support thread before making another one! But thank you for pointing out the problem - i do NOT currently have a graphic environment set up so im gonna try that and let you know what happens.

Oh and FYI the reason I chose FreeBSD over Windows is completely based on availability. I had to reformat my second computer and after a winxp cd didnt work I tried installing FreeBSD, didn't like it, but when I tried to reinstall windows it wouldnt read the setup because of the (deleted) unix partition. (I could fix that by booting from PartitionMagic but I dont have any blank CDs) So i'm stuck on FreeBSD for now and am trying to make the most of it as a server box instead of a personal computer.

Thanks again for the help!

Edited by imafool4u, 04 March 2010 - 06:18 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to P2P file sharing programs. While many of these programs are-in-and of themselves legal, most things acquired by their use are not. Instead of attempting to differentiate between the legal use of P2P programs and the illegal use thereof, we have decided to stop helping with issues regarding this software. It is also in your best interest to know that many P2P software packages come bundled with spyware/malware/virii and that their use greatly increases the chances of your computer becoming infected. I strongly suggest that you uninstall these programs and refrain from using them at all costs.

If you have any issues with this policy please PM a Moderator or Admin.