Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Completely Restored my Windows Vista, D Drive is FULL

• Please log in to reply

Mickymom09

Mickymom09

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok. So lately my computer has been super slow. I haven't restored it in over two years. Haven't bought a bigger one because we just surf the net pretty much on here. Before I completely restored it to factory settings I noticed that I ony had a very small percentage open on my D drive. After restoring it, it only shows 11% available!!! It has caused an empty computer to slow down dramatically and pause for minutes at a time. After I restored the computer, I made sure to make sure all the drivers and updates were taken care of so I know they are all up to date. Any help on how to take care of my D drive? I don't believe it was this full when I first bought it!!!
Micky

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Mickymom09 ... :) ..:)

the D partition is probably a restore partition...
give me the make and model number for your computer

Mickymom09

Mickymom09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
HP a6037c I believe

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Most HP and Compaq desktop PCs that ship with Windows Vista and XP do not come with recovery discs. Instead, they use a partition on the hard drive. Using a hard drive partition provides a convenient, more stable recovery solution. To access a hard drive recovery, turn on the computer and repeatedly press F11 until a recovery window opens. If your computer originally came with Windows XP or earlier, press F10 to enter recovery.

so the D drive is a recovery partition...do not save anything to or do anything to that partition or it will no longer work...
you can and should create a recovery cd...go here to see how to do this...select the operating system you have and follow the instructions...

Mickymom09

Mickymom09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, I have already completed my restore DVD and thats actually how I completely restored my computer and yet it still is COMPLETELY slow. As I am typing this, it is not showing up!! Actually in a min. I will have to click onto the tab behind it, then click back so that the page will update!!! If I turn off my computer then restart it, it will be fine for about 10 min. gradually slowing down. From what I can see it shows the Reliabilty and Performance Monitor states that the computer is gettingexcessive paging, also thatD drive has less than 12% available, andmy computer failed the Disk Checks test!! And I havent added anything to my computer that required a great deal of memory!! My C drive has 85% available!! What can I do???I can barely write this reply!

Mickymom09

Mickymom09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, so I am looking at my processes and it shows based on Memory and CPU usage that Internet Explorer is using the most. Its using 105,412K and says 48 under CPU. Followed by the same program,iexplore.exe using 84,800K but only 3 of CPU. So, is it my Internet Explorer program? Why does it show two?? Should I downgrade to a older version of IE? Just from these two programs it shows CPU usage of 55-60 percent along with about 200K of physical memory being used. Just by running I am using a total of 70% CPU and 85% of my Phyisical Memory!!!ACK!

Mickymom09

Mickymom09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I went ahead and opened a new topic in the virus and spyware section!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
after they give you a all clean come back to this topic if your still having issues