Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Memory mystery. Can't run DDRII dual channel anymore, but both sti

• Please log in to reply

Dani723

Dani723

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for taking the time. I had a corrupt version of windows XP 32 bit and have since installed windows 7 64 bit. When I still had XP, I couldn't get the PC to boot up in any mode. I tried reseting my BIOS to the 'default optimal settings' and have since not been any to run my Kingston 2x2gb dual channel RAM (HyperX DDR2-800 PC6400 4-4-4-12), it doesn't POST. But strangely both sockets will work with either stick of RAM when used alone. Also, my old dual channel DDR1 RAM will work as well.

The motherboard is an ASRock 4 core dual SATA-2, a crossover board I bought to keep my DDR1. Twice since running Windows 7 the PC has crashed to the bluescreen message 'BAD_POOL_DATA' and once to a blue screen with a loud humming sound but no message, over the course of a few days. But it seems this could be related to any number of changes I've made to my system over the last few days, searching suggests it might be a driver problem.

Presumably by checking 'deafult optimal settings' in the BIOS I caused the problem. I have tried setting the CAS frequency, and BUS size instead of leaving them on auto, changing the voltage, and setting the two sticks to run in single channel mode, still, it won't POST. I didn't want to mess around with the settings anymore until getting some suggestions, as I've only a pretty basic understanding of hardware and would like to be able to at least keep using one 2gb stick. I can't find any drivers from the ASRock site for windows 7 systems and this motherboard. This problem began before installing windows 7 so I guess that can be ruled out.

Any suggestions? Thanks then.

Edited by Dani723, 19 February 2010 - 01:07 PM.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
One thing I noticed right away, according to the manufacturers' specs, is that the motherboard supports a max of 2GB RAM.

• Dual Channel DDR/DDRII memory technology*
  • 2 x DDR2 DIMM slots
  • Supports DDRII667/533 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
  • Max. capacity of system memory: 2GB
  • 2 x DDR DIMM slots
  • Supports DDR400/333/266 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
  • Max. capacity of system memory: 2GB

Can you provide more specific information on your RAM? Such as DDR2-400, DDR2-533, etc?

Sometimes you can run Windows Vista drivers on a Windows 7 machine by using compatibility mode, but it varies from board to board. You would actually be better off installing XP or Vista until they release drivers for the motherboard. But then again, they might never update the drivers for that board to work under Windows 7.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 19 February 2010 - 01:00 PM.

Dani723

Dani723

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'll reply immediately thanks to yahoo messenger updates. It's Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 PC6400 4-4-4-12.

Actually I did some research about the maximum RAM capabilities of this board and discovered it could allow up to 3GB of the 4 in dual channel mode to work on a 32 bit system. Sure enough, it was able to run 3GB on windows XP. I've also heard that because this is a 64 bit version of windows 7, I should be able to run all 4GB of it, if I can get this fixed.

Regarding the drivers, the issue began before windows 7 was installed, so surely that's unlikely to be a factor.

Thanks.

Edited by Dani723, 19 February 2010 - 01:11 PM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Based on the manufacturers' specifications, your RAM is all wrong. It only supports 2GB of RAM at a max speed of 667MHz. It may under clock your 800MHz RAM, but I wouldn't count on it running flawlessly and you'll probably have to manually set the timings.

You didn't try running the DDR2 and DDR RAM at the same time did you, because that would be bad according to the manual?

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 19 February 2010 - 02:35 PM.

Dani723

Dani723

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It has been underclocking my RAM, by default it was set to 533MHz, but I was able to change this to 667 without having any problems since getting the RAM nearly a year ago.

I've tried manually setting the timings to '4', or leaving it on auto since the RAM problem began, and nothing has changed.

No, I knew to never try running both types at once.

2gb of DDRII seems to be just about enough for most high-end gaming right now, perhaps I should just see how long it can hold pace, then upgrade to a new board. God knows why people bother buying 8GB of DDRIII.

Thanks then.

Edited by Dani723, 20 February 2010 - 06:41 AM.