Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

control panel.

• Please log in to reply

transit

transit

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
My PCI don't work, I try to put an internal modem in them, but my computer wizard don't show up to tell me that I put a new hardware in there. I check everything possible to see if I can make them work. but not lock for that I bought an external modem. and now I have a problem with it ...

I had an external modem, and stop working. I try to open the modem icon in control panel but when I click it, appear the cursor like waiting and dessapear but never open, there is anyway that I can open that Icon. the rest of the icon in control panel open when I click them. any help someone can give me.

thank

transit.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Most modems, external or internal, need the supplied driver software installing before they will be recognised by Windows. Did you do that?

transit

transit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
HI, phillips,

yes in the biginning, to the PCI slot, and the external modem, well, let me explain to you what happen, I was in the internet with this external modem, I get up to go to look for something when I hit with my feet the modem and get out of the USB port, the modem get apart and I put it together again, I put it back to the USB port, with the computer on, ( I think now the wrong thing to do, no?) and continue working, now the next day I try to connect to the internet and the computer said; not dial up signal detected. I went to control panel to check the modem and the modem icon not open, I try the other icon in control panel and they open. (like sistem, add and remove program etc.) if the modem was damage after I turn off the computer, I can still open the modem icon anyway? I expenting a new modem for mail soon... I hope..

thank you for take time to try to help me.

sorry for my english is not good...

I using dial up connection to be in the internet.

transit

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello transit...

Let's take a look in Device Manager and see if we can determine the modem's status.

Click the Start button, then right click on My Computer and choose Properties. In the Properties window, click on the Hardware tab...then the Device Manager button.

In Device Manager, do any of the devices listed show a yellow ! icon or a red X icon next to them? If so, what are the devices?

wannabe1

transit

transit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Hello wannabe

after I sent you the message I saw that phippiph try to help me but thank you for you help.

now, yes I check device manager, the modem have a yellow !, but I have a question for you.. for that I can't open the Icon in control panel? I expeting a new modem in a few days.. remember the modem that I using is external, not internal...

Ps. I using another computer to be in the internet, my computer not have a modem in this moment for that I can not send you this information direct for that computer.

thank you for you help...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Usually, when you get "no dial tone" errors, it's either a bad connection on the "line in" side of things...or a failed modem. Check to see that all your cables from the wall to the modem and from the modem to the computer are firmly connected.

In Device Manager, right click on the modem that's showing the icon and choose "Uninstall"...accept the change. Close Device Manager and restart the machine. Windows should reinstall the modem when it starts up and you may be asked to restart after the installation completes...do so if you are prompted to.

Let me know if this has any positive effect on the issue.

transit

transit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Hi, wannabe.

I check everything what you said, I unistall the modem I restart the computer, I went back to Divice manager and the modem is not there. is possible that the modem is broke? is suppose have two light one red and one blue. only the red go on, when I put the modem in the USB port. I try to install the modem software but not luck, start intalling and stop. what I doing wrong?.

wannabe, I check UPS site and they said the go to delivery my new modem between today 2/24/10 or 2/25/10, if I received today or tomorrow I can check with the new modem, but still my question, why I can open control panel/phone and modem icon. if I can install the new modem I can open that icon?

sorry my computer knoledge is very limited...

yes in the biginning, to the PCI slot, and the external modem, well, let me explain to you what happen, I was in the internet with this external modem, I get up to go to look for something when I hit with my feet the modem and get out of the USB port, the modem get apart and I put it together again, I put it back to the USB port, with the computer on, ( I think now the wrong thing to do, no?) and continue working, now the next day I try to connect to the internet and the computer said; not dial up signal detected. I went to control panel to check the modem and the modem icon not open, I try the other icon in control panel and they open. (like sistem, add and remove program etc.) if the modem was damage after I turn off the computer, I can still open the modem icon anyway? I expenting a new modem for mail soon...

thank you for take time to try to help me.

sorry for my english is not good...

I using dial up connection to be in the internet.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

the modem get apart and I put it together again

Does this mean the actual modem was in pieces...or just unplugged?

Do other USB devices (flash drives) work in the USB port you use for the modem?

I've run into cases where an icon in Control Panel won't open if there is no corresponding device installed. Whether this is the case with your machine or not may be revealed when you install the new modem.

transit

transit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
well, only the cover that protect the part inside when apart... I put the cover back and put the modem in the USB port and work that day, yes the USB port that the modem was is workin.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'd say let's wait a day and see if the new modem solves the problem... :)

transit

transit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
well, I received the new modem, I try to install(ed) it, but the computer gave me this error:

This application has failed to start because "UNIPLAT.DLL" was not found Re-install the application MAY be fix this problem.

what is UNIPLAT.DLL, and how can be not found?. where I can find this application to be re-install?

I have to go to work, so I can't respond to you until tomorrow, so rest tonight .. sorry for bother you so much... THANK for you time.

T.