Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with HP Officejet 4315 All in One

• Please log in to reply

leader2

leader2

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Sorry if this doesn't belong in this forum. I wasn't sure where to put it.

I own an HP Office Jet 4315 and for some reason it just stopped printing. It started a few days ago and I tried to unplug the usb cord (so that the drivers would reload. Darn not having a regular printer port that requires a cd to run. I don't even know where to access the drivers for my printer on this sucky Vista system. I'm a novice so forgive my lack of knowledge.) unplugging the power cable, doing a system restore (which didn't work. I rarely encountered this on Xp.) and finally doing reformat and reinstall. NO success. :The printer will copy, but when I push the print button it prompts me to save a doc for the Microsoft XPS writer. I click cancel (twice) and it pops up this message.

Posted Image

I need my printer to print very important documents and am fed up and completely unsure as to what to do. The printer isn't registering in the printers folder despite the drivers (supposedly) being loaded. This has never happened before and I need a solution. What do I do?

BTW I have tried reinstalling the printer drivers and it was nothing doing. In fact the software doesn't even see the printer! :mad: This window pops up.

Posted Image

Also when I tried to unplug and replug in the usb cable no drivers loaded. This disturbed me because they loaded before. Can anyone help me figure out why the printer won't show up on the computer even though the usb cable and power cord are plugged in?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

The printer isn't registering in the printers folder

Can anyone help me figure out why the printer won't show up on the computer even though the usb cable and power cord are plugged in?

When it doesn't show up, that means it is dead. It may be fixable, but you'd have to find someone knowledgeable with printers.

The only other thing it could be besides that is the USB ports on your computer have stopped working. Try plugging something else like a flash drive into the same port, if it is recognized, then you have a dead printer. You can also try plugging the printer into a different port and see if you have any success.

I hope that helps. :)

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

The printer isn't registering in the printers folder

Can anyone help me figure out why the printer won't show up on the computer even though the usb cable and power cord are plugged in?

When it doesn't show up, that means it is dead. It may be fixable, but you'd have to find someone knowledgeable with printers.

The only other thing it could be besides that is the USB ports on your computer have stopped working. Try plugging something else like a flash drive into the same port, if it is recognized, then you have a dead printer. You can also try plugging the printer into a different port and see if you have any success.

I hope that helps. :)

Now I'm really peeved. :) Not at you of course, but the printer.

I tried plugging it into other printer ports and plugging another device into the same port. I got the same results unfortunately. :)
I just don't understand how the printer could be dead and it is still copying docs. Could you tell me how the printer could be dead when it is still copying documents?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well don't get your hopes up, but let me check one more thing... I may have jumped the gun a little.

Lets check the device manager
  • Click Windows Orb (Start)
  • Right Click "Computer"
  • Select "Properties"
  • In the top left corner, Click "Device Manager"
  • Any yellow exclamation points or question marks? Red X's?
Specifically for a printer :) Does your printer show up at all there?

Could you tell me how the printer could be dead when it is still copying documents?

Well to be recognized by the computer and copying documents is two different things. I don't know how to explain that much better than that. I guess an example would be with a car, the engine runs, but it won't drive forward... meaning the car(printer) still turns on, but the transmission(the printer being recognized by the computer) is shot.

Edited by Ferrari, 21 February 2010 - 06:13 PM.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I checked the device manager and the only thing that looked out of the ordinary was my 2gb flash drive. :) Ir had an exclamation point by it in portable devices. The printer was not listed amongst any of the devices and to be honest I didn't think it would be since it plugs in thru the usb port and none of the those devices has a specific name under usb devices. Is the printer supposed to be listed under USB devices? :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like the printer's ok, but isn't communicating with the computer.

Have you tried a different (known good) printer cable?

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Thanks for replying. I haven't tried a different cable because I don't have one.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

The printer was not listed amongst any of the devices

Yes, it is supposed to be listed in there... Look at the image below, mine is the HP Photosmart...

Posted Image

Could be the cable, if not it's the printer I presume. You can try the printer on another computer as well. Do you have a cable from another printer that will work?

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

The printer was not listed amongst any of the devices

Yes, it is supposed to be listed in there... Look at the image below, mine is the HP Photosmart...

Posted Image

Could be the cable, if not it's the printer I presume. You can try the printer on another computer as well. Do you have a cable from another printer that will work?

Good news guys! I got another cable and the printer is working fine. :) For now that is... :) Thanks for all your help. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Awesome! Unusual for a cable to go bad. Good thing you tried that first... excellent! :)