Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer will not power up at all, PLEEASE HELP

• Please log in to reply

Francois31

Francois31

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello everyone..im not very computer oriented..but my computer will not boot at all..when i insert the plug in the bacl..the light inside will turn on and te fans start for a second or two but cut off..then when i hit the power button nothing happens at all..can anyone help please..thanks in advance

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this a new system or a old system?
If old how old?
Custom built or name brand? If name brand what make and model?
Laptop or desktop?

Francois31

Francois31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Is this a new system or a old system?
If old how old?
Custom built or name brand? If name brand what make and model?
Laptop or desktop?

this is a custom built desktop

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How old is the system or newly built?
Has it ever booted correctly?

Francois31

Francois31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
im not sure exactly i think about two years..since ive had it its also blue screened when i power it up after a shutdown....could it be my power suppy because it stinks like something is fried...it smells like an electrical outlet i had in my house that was sparking and smoking

Francois31

Francois31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

How old is the system or newly built?
Has it ever booted correctly?

im not sure exactly i think about two years..since ive had it its also blue screened when i power it up after a shutdown....could it be my power suppy because it stinks like something is fried...it smells like an electrical outlet i had in my house that was sparking and smoking

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahh well now is a good possibility.
Have you opened it to see if the fans are turning?
How about the fan on the back of the power supply is it turning when you turn it on?
I would say either a failing PSU, shorting out with motherboard or the cpu fan may be failing.

Francois31

Francois31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Ahh well now is a good possibility.
Have you opened it to see if the fans are turning?
How about the fan on the back of the power supply is it turning when you turn it on?
I would say either a failing PSU, shorting out with motherboard or the cpu fan may be failing.

i have only opened the case...none of the fans are turning it looks like..but i usually have to leave the cp itself unpluuged then plug it up for the fan on the back of the box itself to spin....do you suggest i try a new power supply first then go from there

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would say that is a good place to start.
If you do make sure it is at least the same wattage what you have now if not more.
Can you look on the pSU and see what wattage it is or the make and model of it?
I can try to find something for you.

Francois31

Francois31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I would say that is a good place to start.
If you do make sure it is at least the same wattage what you have now if not more.
Can you look on the pSU and see what wattage it is or the make and model of it?
I can try to find something for you.

it is a raidmax 450 watt..model is rx-450k i believe...another thing that just happened the fan on the back of the cp started to spin i dont know why and also did the cpu fan

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Without power turned on?
I would suggest at least a 500 or better. Depending on your budget I can locate some for you.

Francois31

Francois31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Without power turned on?
I would suggest at least a 500 or better. Depending on your budget I can locate some for you.

yes with the cp just plugged it the light sometimes fades in and out with the fans..i have a friend that works at best buy so ill put his discount to use so budget isnt a problem...is there a certain brand that i should get

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I prefer Corsair TX650W 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, 120mm Fan, SLI-Ready, SATA-Ready, 80Plus
A little more expensive but it has a very stable 12 volt rail which also means better power and no high energy use.

Francois31

Francois31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I prefer Corsair TX650W 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, 120mm Fan, SLI-Ready, SATA-Ready, 80Plus
A little more expensive but it has a very stable 12 volt rail which also means better power and no high energy use.

yes i was actually checking that one out..thanks a lot for everything

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and please let us know how it works for you.