Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Icon missing

• Please log in to reply

LJ75

LJ75

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I cleaned out a friends PC that was loaded with over 60 malware (malwarebytes) and scanned for virus (AVAST), it said there were none. I then removed the HDD and installed in in my to do an other scan and it found 4 more maleware and 1 virus not sure what it was. Since then when I log on to user "My Computer"(admin) the desktop icons are missing. The task bar is there, I can get into the start icon, then I can click on Run and have checked Regedit hklm\sofware\micorsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon and checked the shell vaule it is explorer.exe.
When I click on anything else, control panel, search, my computer it freeses up but it shows 0% use of CPU.
The task manager was blanked out when I did ctrl,alt.del but have since downloaded and ran taskbarplus from http://kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm This has giving back the taskmanger and I checked to see if explorer.exe was on there, it was, but I ended process and ran new task explorer.exe and have since rebooted several times and it still is the same. However when I go into safe mode I have all the desktop icons there and am able to use the start menu and dont appear to have any problems.
Also there are 3 other admin users "qq" and "administratotr" and they seem to work fine. "My Computer" user is the main user account that my friend uses.
Any ideas of where to go from here. All and any help would be great.

Edited by LJ75, 19 February 2010 - 08:08 PM.

Advertisements