Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heat Problems with All In One desktops?

• Please log in to reply

ront2

ront2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Am considering the HP AIO desktop. Frys salesperson said they have heat problems... everything is bound tight together...similar to laptops. Fans cannot do an adequate job. He proceeded to try and sale me other computers....(BTW they were out of stock of the All In One, I had hoped to purchase).
Is this an issue with laptops and AIOs? Fans cannot circulate air properly. The salesperson said the lifespan of the AIO would be half of a non-AIO computer.... 8 yr. to 4 yrs.
Thanks, Ron ([email protected])

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Ron, welcome to Geekstogo!

All-in-one PC's definitely have their disadvantages. Yes, in laptops and all-in-one's the components are tightly packed together, so ventilation is not as good as a regular desktop/tower computer. This would mean less room for fans, and less room for that hot air to leave the compartment area.

Heat is the number 1 killer of computer components. The hotter the system runs, the quicker it dies. Also, with an AIO, if your computer screen goes out, you are minus an entire computer, whereas on a regular desktop you would just have to replace the monitor. I don't know if the lifespan is completely cut in half, but in surely is shortened. The guy at the computer store was probably just making an example, not being completely literal.

There are desktops that are fairly small, and some can be layed on their side with a monitor sitting on top. If you are looking to conserve space, you may want to look into a desktop like that.

And BTW: You may want to edit your post and remove your email address. Bots will pick up on that and SPAM your email address. Email addresses are not allowed to be posted on the forums for that and other reasons.

Let me know if you have any questions. :)