Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Silverlight Client for Facebook (BETA)

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hey all,

I thought I would share with you a program that lets you use Facebook in a little different way. I've used it for about 5 minutes thus far, and I'm pretty impressed. It is for MAC and PC. Remember, this is in BETA stage and you must install Silverlight onto your computer first.

Video Tutorial HERE

Silverlight Client for Facebook

Let me know what you guys think :)

Edited by Ferrari, 20 February 2010 - 01:29 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
looks like it requires a newer version of silverlight than the one that actually exists (so far)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Did you have trouble installing? What do you mean?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
It doesn't work when I try to install it.

The version of Silverlight you have requested is not yet publicly available.

Please contact the owner of the Web site that directed you here for further assistance.

If you are a Web site developer or tester and are testing the Silverlight 4 Beta, you can find the tools and developer runtime here.

My only other option is to view license terms.

Edited by sari, 01 March 2010 - 05:26 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hmmmm... I didn't have silverlight installed at all when I tried, so maybe it let me since it's beta??? However, the install process was a bit confusing. When I first clicked the link to download, it installed a plugin of some sort and then asked for Firefox to restart. When I did that, it restored the tab and then gave differenct instructions something to the affect "You now can download Facebook Client". So it was like you have to revisit the page and try again to get it to work. And when I go back there, it just informs me I already have it installed and gives no other options.

:) I'm sure that doesn't make sense... haha... I already have it installed, and that was only once, so I can't remember the exact process.

Edited by Ferrari, 01 March 2010 - 05:30 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
It tells me on the Silverlight page that this a beta for developers only, and it's not available for client use yet.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well the video tutorial is how I found out about it, and he keeps pretty current on things. I installed it right after watching that video, so I wonder if a late decision was made to make it NOT available to the public. Maybe? I'm going to try in my virtual machine of XP, see what happens...

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It talks about it being a developer preview application, but not anything about public use or client use. See image 1. Also, see the rest of the images, it installed just fine for me on Windows XP Mode (Virtual Machine) in 7.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Double Clicked the setup file...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then I restarted my browser...

Posted Image

Posted Image

After it installs, login via the "Facebook Wizard" and it's all set to go.

Posted Image

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

This is a developer beta release only! This release of Silverlight 4 Beta is a developer release. What this means is that there is no “go-live” licensing available and the end-user runtime of Silverlight 4 is not available. The tools below are intended for software developers only.

Based on that, I don't think you should have it installed. I have the following screens:

screen1.JPG

screen2.JPG

screen3.JPG

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
:) As you have more experience than me, I'll take your word for it. :) I hope they don't come after me... :)

Edited by Ferrari, 01 March 2010 - 08:21 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I hope they don't come after me...

they're already on their way....i wouldn't open your door today

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I can just see it now... updating my status on Facebook with "Got arrested today for using Facebook" :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well i'll probably end up sharing a cell with you....that app is really neat...it'll be really fun once it's fully fleshed out.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

it'll be really fun once it's fully fleshed out

I think so too. It seemed a little buggy or not as smooth as I think it could be would be the best way to describe it.

BTW: You know how to hide all the Farmville and Mafia wars stuff don't you? I've been telling friends how to hide it from the homepage/newsfeed and I'm becoming quite the popular guy :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i actually haven't gotten that far yet (just signed up for the damned thing saturday...facespace is the devil)

Edit: also...i bet the silverlight app would be perfect on a multitouch system. i bet it's geared towards swiping and gestures and such more than a mouse

Edited by dsenette, 02 March 2010 - 09:10 AM.