Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring Drive Image to larger Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

spid4567

spid4567

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi,
I recently had an 120 GB drive crash, but did have a drive image made with Drive Image 7. The original drive had 2 partitions, and the main partition was around 86 GB. I wrote the saved image to the new 120 GB drive, but it now thinks it is an 86 GB drive.

Looking at the drive with Computer Management, the upper portion shows that the drive has a capacity of 86 GB, but the lower portion shows the correct size of 111.79 GB, with 2.7 GB unallocatted. It is formatted as FAT32.

Is there a way to recover the missing drive space? Is normally what happens when an image of a smaller drive is written to a larger one?

It is not a big deal - this computer is going to be retired soon. I just want to know for future reference.

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Most drive-imaging software will write the image to a larger drive without you losing any of the disk's capacity, but only if you choose the appropriate option when starting the image recovery process. The label for that option varies according to the actual software, but on mine (Paragon Drive Image) the option is labelled "Proportionally Resize the image" (it's a tick-box you have to tick).

Start the image restoration again and look for an option with a similar name to "Resize" or something along those lines before you actually begin the process.

You should also consider converting the XP file system from FAT32 to NTFS for greater Windows stability and less wasted space on large-capacity drives. Instructions here:

http://www.aumha.org...5/a/ntfscvt.php

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 20 February 2010 - 04:03 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would like to see a screen shot of computer manager.

Lets take a look at the drives and partitions.

Go to start
Go to run
Type in compmgmt.msc
Click on OK
On the left side under storage...click on disk management.
Make sure the right side showing the drives is expanded so we can see it all.
Take a screen shot showing the drives and partitions.

Attach it to your reply.

There is software available (free) also that you can use to resize.

123runner

spid4567

spid4567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Here is the screenshot:

Attached Thumbnails

• diskmgmt.JPG

spid4567

spid4567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I had to restore from the Power Quest Emergency CD. There was no resize option (even though one does exist if running the Windows app).

It does have two options:

Restore Original Disk signature (this was checked)
Restore MBR (this was not checked)

Would either of these prevented the problem?

Thanks!