Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Xp wont boot - black screen

• Please log in to reply

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Have HP Pavillion Laptop. Was going to install Norton, so I uninstalled CA. Dialogue box said computer needed to shut down & restart. It shut down, but would not load Windows. Got a black screen, no blinking curser. The blue lights showing power were lite and all other blue lights along top that always lite when on were on. It would go a min or 2, shut down and try again. Removed battery, tried again. Nothing. Inserted my recovery disk in CD drive, would not load it. Took the hard drive out and had it checked to see if it could be read and it was ok. Dos it sound like I should just give up and go to a Mac???

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Inserted my recovery disk in CD drive, would not load it.

Is the boot order in BIOS set to boot from the CD first?

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
yes it will boot fromCd first Last Fsll I reinstalled XP from my recovery disk with no problem

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What exactly happens, when you boot from recovery CD?

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
absolutely nothing. It tries to start, lights lite and it keeps repeating this sequence - same thing that happens hen the CD is not in. The boot order in BIOs is CD first

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, since it doesn't want to boot form hard drive, or CD, I'm not sure what else can be done here, short of bringing it to the shop for some pro check.

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Sounds like it to me too, but since its an HP that is only 3 year old and has been sent back to HP 2x, I think I'll just copy my files to an external hard drive and just get a new one. Thanks for trying to help

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I wish, I could have been of more help :)