Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

same problem with xp logging in then back out,

• Please log in to reply

kagetentei

kagetentei

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've got the same problem ive seen all over about not being able to log in. I've tried everthing I have seen posted, but none of it works. Cant log in in safe mode, ctrl+alt+del twice at login to get admin doesnt work. My boot disk is idiot proof, I get 2 choices and thats it, either full reformat of partial with backup, neither are an option im willing to use. the only way i can get into any dos propmt is with a program called ultimate boot disk 4 windows or ubcd4win, and my other comp wont slipstream the service pack. To top it off my boot disk is only recognized by emachines computers, not dell, not gateway, not compaq, its emachines only, so no programs ackowledge that theres even a disk in the drive, if anybody has any suggestions i would really apreciate the help. And for your sake stay away from emachines.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
emachines are no different to any other brand as regards the recovery disc they supply. It cannot be used on any other brand of PC, not least because the hardware is totally different and all the drivers on the disc would be the wrong ones for any other machine. The disc is also 'locked' to that make & model of PC to comply with Microsoft's licencing restrictions which state that a factory pre-installed copy of Windows cannot be transferred to another PC - ever.

You may have to bite the bullet and do a full recovery even though you are reluctant to do so.
If losing data is the problem, that's why you should always keep backups of it on another disk or thumb-drive.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 21 February 2010 - 03:49 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The easist quickest method is to run the recovery disk. If you do not want to lose any data the easy method is to stick the HD in another computer and transfer the files you want to save to a Flash drive. If you use this method you will probably have to take ownership of the files first. To me that is such a PITA that i always make a data folder on the "C" drive and put all data in that folder. That way i can bypass the ownership junk.

taking ownership
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

SRX660

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this link. This is the most comprehensive solution I found to the login/logout problem. Mnay times it's the only solution.

kagetentei

kagetentei

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Skeptic. that link did the trick.

And thanks for the info on boot disk, it clears up a few misconceptions ive had in the past.

But I still think emachines are horrible, and if i could afford a different comp, i would buy one in a heartbeat.