Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Driver Question/BSOD Issue

• Please log in to reply

airport4

airport4

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello all, I am new to the forum and have what I'm sure is a dumb question. I have the BSOD and have it narrowed down to the network card driver--or so I have been told. I went to Dell and downloaded what I believe is the driver I need. My problem is when I try and install the driver I get a message stating I must remove the current driver before I can install the new one. I go to add/remove programs to accomplish this and--here is the problem--I don't know what to remove, there is nothing that is as obvious as network card driver. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Edited by airport4, 23 February 2010 - 01:17 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

You need to go into Device Manager. Then, click on Network Devices (or something similiar). Now, highlight your network card and select "Properties".

Now you can update the driver.

Murray

airport4

airport4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, I'll give it a try

airport4

airport4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was able to install or reinstall the driver, so we'll see if it stops the BSOD we've been getting.
Thanks for your help.
Kelly

airport4

airport4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well I have uninstalled and reinstalled the network card driver twice and I am still getting the same BSOD. I have done some research on this site for information, but, unfortunately, I need to ask for more help.

The STOP error numbers I'm getting are 0X40000080 (0x86c95130, 0x866d8180, 0xf7a5ebb8, 0x00000003)--note, I did not write these number down and there are a couple numbers/letters that aren’t clear and I am guessing as to what they are. The first number is correct, however.

This problem seemed to start after we installed AVG. it also seems to do it randomly, no consistency at all--or at least that we have noticed. I contacted AVG and gave them the dump files and other info and they said it was the driver I originally asked about. Unless I have done something wrong, which is entirely possible, it doesn't seem to be this driver.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kelly

Edited by airport4, 23 February 2010 - 01:16 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. took a quick search online for that error and it seems that the vast majority deal with Dell systems.

Try downloading and installing the latest chipset driver for your system and see if that helps at all.

Murray

airport4

airport4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I downloaded and installed this driver, we'll see if it works--seemed way to easy.

Thanks
Kelly

luciferhaha

luciferhaha

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If we are to talk an average of what causes these errors , here are some facts
5-20% of these errors are actually caused by the OS.
10% are hardware related.
70% are the result of faulty drivers or software incompatibility.
Try to visit here to solve blue screen.

airport4

airport4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The chipset driver didn't work. I have reengaged AVG techs to see if they have any other suggestions also.

luciferhaha--Thanks for the info. I tried using the recommended "cleaner" but of course, there is a charge for it, and since we just bought the AVG my manager won’t go for that quite yet.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Thanks
Kelly

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Wait for a reply from AVG and see what they have to say. Odds are, they will say it is Dell's problem.

Murray