Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Firewall

• Please log in to reply

EERidenour

EERidenour

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm running XP Pro (SP3) and a Linksys WRT54G router (my wife and I share a cable modem connection along with files and printers via the router). The router provides a hardware firewall (or so I have been told). I have heard that the XP firewall is almost useless and should be replaced by something else. I am thinking of using Comodo Free as the software firewall on our computers in place of the XP firewall (I would disable the XP firewall). My question is: will the Comodo firewall be compatible with the Linksys hardware router or should I disable the router hardware firewall and use just the Comodo firewall? I have never installed a Comodo firewall before so I was wondering if there is anything tricky in the installation or do I just follow the installation prompts the program provides? My malware protection would then be: AVG Free 9.0 , Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard and Comodo Free (and possibly the Linksys hardware firewall).

Your comments will be much appreciated.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
It's okay to leave the router's firewall on when a software firewall has been installed.

The Comodo firewall is now part of the free "Comodo Internet Security" package which includes Comodo Antivirus. When you run the installer you will be given the option of installing only the firewall, or only the antivirus, or install both. If you want to install both you will first need to uninstall 'AVG Free' because you cannot have two antivirus programs installed together.

If, however, you prefer to continue using 'AVG Free', then make sure you install only the Comodo Firewall and not Comodo Antivirus.

Also make sure you turn off the built-in Windows XP firewall, but don't do that until the Comodo Firewall has been installed and is up and running.

Personally I found the Comodo Firewall has too many settings and options which can overwhelm some people, so I now use the free version of 'Outpost Firewall' instead which is much easier to understand. You might want to give that a try instead and carry on using 'AVG Free' as your antivirus:

Free Outpost Firewall
http://free.agnitum.com/

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 21 February 2010 - 03:36 AM.

EERidenour

EERidenour

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the info! I started to install the Comodo firewall and found, as you said, it asked for input that I didn't know how to provide. I then installed Outpost Free and found it very user friendly!

Thanks again for your comments!