Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VNC Server/Client Application Choice

• Please log in to reply

PurpleTurtle123

PurpleTurtle123

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I will be going on a trip for some time, but may need to find files, etc. from my desktop computer at home from across the internet. I have a dynamic IP, so I assume I'll be using DynDNS. So far, I use RealVNC across my LAN, but I've never used VNC across the internet before. Anyway, I noticed that RealVNC (and the VNC application that DynDNS recommends) doesn't support encryption. Just wondering, can anyone recommend me a VNC application that does support encryption?

Thanks! :)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
UltraVNC supports encryption with a plug-in:

http://www.uvnc.com/

PurpleTurtle123

PurpleTurtle123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Will it support DynDNS?

Edit: I installed UltraVNC Server/Client on both desktop and notebook. I used a DynDNS account I had, and installed the updater client on my desktop. From my laptop, I can connect to my desktop perfectly using my internal IP address (192.168.x.x). But when I try connecting through the external internet, it doesn't work, even though I know I have the correct external address (from pinging the DynDNS domain from my laptop, checking the updater client, and IP address websites). It keeps saying "Unable to connect."

UltraVNC is installed as a service.
Service is running, on an administrator user account.
The range of ports is forwarded on my router.
Turning my firewall (Comodo) off/on doesn't change anything, so I know it's not that.
The port used is correct and fall sunder the range forwarded by my router.
My internal IP address for my desktop is static.

So what could be wrong?

Edited by PurpleTurtle123, 22 February 2010 - 01:11 AM.