Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

500gb to 250 gb?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Of course, it wouldn't happen that easy would it. :)

The "extend" is grayed out. I think you may have to use a third party partitioning program, and since I'm not that familiar with them, we should probably wait and see what rshaffer61 has to say. I haven't had to partition much ever. rshaffer61 should be up and ready soon. Wait for a reply from him.

It could be that you have to format the unallocated first, then extend D... hmmmm. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 23 February 2010 - 07:28 AM.

Advertisements

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Oh! :) ok then!

Thanks for the help too Ferrari! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK we have a problem here.
Your drive is partitioned 5 times and we need to know what is going on.
The only ones I know for sure what they are is C and D
The one marked EISA that is 3.54 gigs in size is to small to be anything more then a recovery partition. This could be a problem.
You also have a 18 gig EISA partition at the beginning which I do not know what it is.
When you formatted did you use a Recovery Disk that came with you laptop?
The Unallocated partition needs to be added to one of the partitions but without knowing what is on that smaller EISA I can't say for sure what the next step is.
Do me a favor and go to My Computer and get a screen shot of what shows in there. Make sure to get everything in the screenshot so we can instruct you on the next steps.

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hey rshaffer!

Sry to keep you waiting for my reply :) as my exams are these 2 weeks 0.0

And here is the screenshot of My Computer

And yea... I have no idea why is it partitioned 5 times :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK here we go with some info and then some decision making. In most instances a EISA configuration partition is used for drivers used during a recovery installation.
This is important because I need ot know exactly how you recovered the system when you did it last time. Was there a Recovery Disk supplied by the laptop manufacturer that you used?
Did you access a Hidden Recovery Partition on your hard drive to do the fresh install?
Did you use a Genuine Microsoft Installation cd that you purchased for the laptop?

Now once this is figured out and looking at the current setup what I would suggest is deleting the last two partitions and then stretching the D partition out to take up all the free room then. This would take your D drive from 161.48 gigs of drive space to 332.69 gigs of drive space and in reality almost doubling the size of your data storage drive.

Now before attempting any of this I need the first part of this post straightened out and understood so that we don't erase something you might need in the future.

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
The recovery disk was created by my school so it resets everything back to when I first bought my laptop in school

I have no idea on the Hidden Recovery Partition...sry!

Yes its a Genuine one =)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so you used a Recovery Disk and not a Microsoft installation CD if I am reading this correctly?

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Yes you are correct~! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahh thats why all the partitions then. OK now we can continue with the steps below.

Now once this is figured out and looking at the current setup what I would suggest is deleting the last two partitions and then stretching the D partition out to take up all the free room then. This would take your D drive from 161.48 gigs of drive space to 332.69 gigs of drive space and in reality almost doubling the size of your data storage drive

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Ok! So how do I go about doing it?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Right click on the 3.54 gb partition and then click on Delete Partition
Now you should see the last two partitions become one partition totaling 171.21 gb in size about.
Now Right click on the D partition and there should be a option to stretch it out or increase the size.
If not then we will have to use a third party program like Eusus to do the above.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Ok! So how do I go about doing it?

It's all about the right click when in there! :) And just hope it gives you the options you want... :)

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hmmm I seem to have a problem when I right click only help appears and no delete 0.0

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah I hate EISA partitions with a vengeance...

http://www.mydigital...ition-in-vista/

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm odd that according to that article Troy she would have 2 recovery partitions on her drive. The first and 4th partitions are both EISA.