Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just a Suggestion!

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi all,

As far as I'm aware of, Geekstogo doesn't provide much information for the common user about how adding more programs (specifically security programs) running in the background/realtime can use up some of the computers resources. I don't think Geekstogo recommends a program unless it has a small footprint, but adding many together can be quite a "drag" on the general all purpose computer. Many members probably don't have "fast computers" like some of us do.

Do you think this should be Noticeably noted in the Free Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Software thread and possibly Rorschach112's Preventing Malware and Safe Computing Guide?

I try to remember back when I was very new, trying to increase my security, and following some of the tips sure did improve my security, but my computer slowed down quite a bit too. A lot of the people that buy computers from me seem to only have a P4 maybe 2.0ghz processor, 512mb RAM.

Thank you.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
No one should be adding many real-time protection programs anyway. Anti-virus and firewall, yes. Something like MBAM can be on-demand or real-time, depending if they want to pay for protection. Some of the programs, such as Spywareblaster, shouldn't affect performance. Sometimes it may be a question of which ones are used together. No one should ever assume that the best way to protect themselves is to just install a bunch of protection, either - common sense can go a long way towards protecting oneself.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm just a speed junkie Sari... I'll go back to my hardware forums now... :)

:)