Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast scan detected rootkit

• Please log in to reply

piinkbox

piinkbox

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

I posted this on avast forum but I was hoping to get some help here. Last night I did a full avast scan on my computer and the scan found a rootkit:hidden file. I could not move this file to the virus chest or delete it because avast said there was a error that the system cannot find the file specified (2).

The infected file is c:\windows\temp\asw_asiI.tm~a04660. So I cleared my temp files in an attempt to hopefully get rid of the file. Then I also try searching for this file and could not find it in my computer (even after I changed my folder options to view hidden files).

What's weird is that afterwards, I ran another full avast scan and the scan did not detect the rootkit again. Furthermore, I also ran superantispyware, threatfire and malwarebytes and none of those programs found anything. I even used sophos anti-rootkit and nothing came up as well. SO far nothing is wrong with my computer and everything is running fine.

I ran OTL and I've attached the OTL file and extras file.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? Do I really have a rootkit? Is it really hiding somewhere that cannot be detected or was it a false positive from avast in the first place?

Thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by piinkbox, 21 February 2010 - 02:39 PM.

Advertisements