Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Beeping and freezing

• Please log in to reply

shaman72

shaman72

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I need help! I have an HP, purchased around two and a half years ago, running Windows Vista Home Premium and recently it started acting very funny. There seem to be two problems occurring and I am not sure if they are related or not because sometimes they happen separately and sometimes simultaneously.

The first problem is a beeping noise that comes from the CPU tower. It is a long, continuous beep that can last from a few seconds to a few minutes. When this beeping happens the lights on my key pad (num lock, caps lock, scroll lock) start blinking like crazy and the computer freezes completely. Sometimes a window appears asking me if I want to enable the “stick keys” function.

The second problem is that sometimes my computer acts like it has the shift and/or control keys constantly pressed down. If I am typing something on a word processor for example I can only use capital letters, or if I try to choose a single file within a folder, the computer will pick all files in there (as if the shift/control keys were pressed down).

These problems do not happen all the time and as I mentioned before they don’t always happen together. Sometimes I’ll go a couple days without any problems whatsoever and sometimes they happen all day long. I’ve heard all kinds of theories, from keyboard malfunction and conflicting software to “you computer is being hacked by Chinese criminals”. Honestly I don’t know what to think and I was hopping to get a more informed opinion here.

I use Avira for antivirus, and it is updated. I have scanned the computer several times and no viruses were found. I thank you for any help you can provide.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi shaman72,

The long continuous beep is a code given by the motherboard which is probably a video card problem or a RAM problem. I suspect RAM. Beep codes are for hardware issues only, so you definitely have a hardware problem.

Give me your system info:
  • Click Windows Orb (start)
  • Right Click "Computer"
  • Select Properties
  • Post System Information in your next post
Please provide the make and model of your computer as well.

=================================================================
Posted Image
=================================================================

Still pending the information, I believe we will have two options. You can physically remove 1 stick of RAM from the computer and leave one to test the RAM by trial and error (Does your problem stop when one of the sticks is not in the system) or we can use software to test the RAM. Both involve a bit of advanced knowledge/instructions.

Once we complete that step, we will know more and can go further if more diagnostics are needed on the rest of the system.

As for the keyboard problem, I suspect a failing keyboard, or it may be related to faulty memory(RAM)... the memory keeping information in it and not releasing it as it should... (i.e. like you have the shift key pressed down all the time)

Let me know. :)