Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP freezes at desktop after restart

• Please log in to reply

peimope

peimope

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I'm having a serious issue with my desktop PC. I'm REALLY hoping someone can help... here are my specs:

Dell XPS Generation 5
Windows XP home edition

This is the issue:
The last time I restarted my PC I got an error message at the "desktop" level stating that Windows had recovered from a serious error. After that, my PC always freezes once it boots up to my desktop. It loads up my desktop and icons, but I'm not able to click on anything or open any programs because it does not respond to ANY commands... in other words, once the desktop is loaded everything looks the same as it always does when my PC boots up, but clicking on any icon(s) or even clicking the START button produces NO RESULTS. It does not allow me to run anything so I'm basically stuck on the desktop without the ability to access or run anything.

I've tried all the following,
Started Windows in safe mode:
Result=When I get to the sign on screen I click on the "Administrator" icon but nothing happens, like the icon has been disabled. Usually I would see the the mouse pointer change from an arrow to a hand, but this does not happen.

Started Windows in debugging mode:
Result=Same as booting Windows in Normal mode... I freeze completely once I get to the desktop.

Started Windows in "Recovery Console Mode" both with and without the recovery CD inserted:
Result= I just get a black screen with a blinking cursor on the upper left hand corner of the screen and nothing happens. It just stays that way and hitting any keys on the keyboard does nothing.

Booted my PC using the windows CD that came with my PC:
Result=When I try to hit "R" on my keyboard to "Repair", nothing happens... as if my PC does not recognize the keyboard or the keyboard command. Tried plugging in a different keyboard but I get the same result... nothing happens when I hit "R".

Basically, I've done everything I've read here on the board regarding this issue but nothing has worked. I was using my PC just fine earlier today... I went on FaceBook and started playing Farmville when all of the sudden everything just froze and from that point on, I started having this problem.

My D: drive is full, but it's been that way for a few months now and I've had no problems because of it. My C: drive is a little past half full.

Another thing I've noticed is that the minute I hit the power button, Windows shuts down... normally I would have to HOLD the power button for a few seconds before it shuts down.

Anybody have any idea why I'm having this problem??? I have not installed any new hardware or software on my PC, it has been the same for the past few months (nothing new installed) so I'm not sure what can be causing this problem.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! many thanks in advanced!!

Edited by peimope, 21 February 2010 - 05:13 PM.

Advertisements

peimope

peimope

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK... I was able to fix the problem... I unplugged all the USB devices and rebooted my PC. I then plugged in a standard USB keyboard and mouse and my desktop did not freeze.

I then unplugged the mouse and keyboard and plugged my normal wireless mouse + keyboard combo and noticed a problem. That led me to realize that could be were the problem was. I re-installed the drivers for the mouse + keyboard combo and everything seems to be working fine again. :)

Not sure why I had the freezing problem before, but it seems re-installing the drivers for the mouse + keyboard did the trick!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for letting us know... :)
now someone else may read this and reinstall their drivers and never even have to post a call for help...