Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new mobo = new OS?

• Please log in to reply

Neo31801

Neo31801

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello again!

I'm back for more help..

I'm looking into getting a new motherboard and i have a few questions. Current mobo is the factory HP MCP61PM-HM motherboard. Big question is "Do I have to purchase a new OS if i swap out my mobo"?

Ive heard yes and no but i want a definite answer before i start looking.

Also I'm looking into SLI, would i need to buy a new (made for SLI) cpu and ram if i go SLI?

every piece that i can reuse (ram,cpu,gpu) will help a ton, but if i need a new OS I'm gonna have to save a bit more for the mobo and OS combo

thanks in advance

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

A more definitive answer? Yes, you will need to purchase a new os as well. The original os that came with your system is OEM and forever married to that system. Now that you have changed the mobo, you have in effect, purchased a new and different system. Thus, your old install cd cannot legally be installed nor, in all likelyhood, could it as it would be looking for mobo hardware and setup the new mobo doesn't have.

Keep saving.

Murray

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
what i thought, but you explained it well enough for me to understand thanks ! :)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Not a problem.

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 22 February 2010 - 07:35 AM.