Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card not allowing computer to boot?, help please!

• Please log in to reply

Rav3nous

Rav3nous

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everybody, I have been having this problem for a few days now and it's been driving me insane. I am(or was) running two monitors, and one day the second monitor just shut off, when i was fiddling with the connection to my video card in the back I dislodged the video card slightly by accident and my computer turned off. After opening my computer and pushing the card back in I turned on my pc. Right after the "loading windows" logo my monitor would show a black screen and say "DVI power saving mode". I tried two other monitors and they all said similar things.

I can boot up to safe mode, and after a couple days of toying around and extensive googling I found out that if I disable or uninstall my video card in device manager I can boot up the computer (not safe mode). The problem is when windows (7 by the way) detects it and installs it (or I install the driver myself that I downloaded off the nvidia site) the next time I reboot, I get the original problem again.

I'm using an LG flatron w2453v monitor and my pc is custom built with a gigabyte motherboard, intel core 2 duo E8400 processor 4 GB of ram and a geforce 9600gt video card if that helps.

Any help at all would really be appreciated! I would hate to have to buy a new video card, they're a bit expensive and I don't have the money right now. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Advertisements

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I would advise RMA'ing the card for defects. If you were simply fiddling around with the DVI cable and dislodged the card it shows that you did not fit the card securley; make sure it is securely fitted. How long have you been successfully running this setup for? Im wondering because if you have been running it fine for a while and this is a sudden error then it may indicate hardware damage.

Have you tried testing the card in a different machine?
And try testing a different card in your machine.
If this is not possible then your best bet would be to RMA the product back. If it comes back not faulty and you still have the issue try RMA'ing the motherboard.
You may want to try re-installing windows and checking your BIOS settings.
These are jsut some thoguhts. Let me know how you get on :)

Rav3nous

Rav3nous

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, thank you for your reply. I have been running the system just fine for about a year or so I'd say. The video card doesn't really fit through the back of the pc very well..it's kind of a lousy old case.

Trying my card in a different machine is going to be a wee bit of a hassle, but I'll try that before I RMA (had to look up what that meant, haha) the card. What I don't understand is how my computer can run with the video card disabled when the monitor is plugged into it and I do not have onboard video on my motherboard. Is that normal? does that help find what the problem is? Thanks again, and if you or anybody else has anything that could possibly help me I'd really appreciate it :).