Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not connecting to internet

• Please log in to reply

Storm3

Storm3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, everyone. Just ran across this site and figured I'd give it a shot as I've been fighting with my computer for the past week and am at a loss (and very frustrated). I am actually asking this question on another website but decided to get others' views on it from here as well. I'm not sure if a virus, spyware, etc. is even causing the problem but I read that, when in doubt, post in this forum.

I have 2 computers: a standard PC (XP) and a Laptop (Vista). I have a Comtrend router that is directly connected to the PC, while the laptop accesses the internet wirelessly. My problem is with the PC.

One night I was on the internet and all was fine. The next morning, I go to check my email and it can't locate the server. I try Firefox (and even IE) but both gave me "The connection was reset" deal, so I figured my ISP was just having problems or something. Later that day, I try to access the internet again but the same deal. I decide to try my laptop, and lo-and-behold, it connects to the internet just fine. This is when I realize it must be the computer and not the ISP and start to worry.

I went to Network Connections and checked my Local Area Connection 3 and it says "Connected, Firewalled", and I go into it and it has under Connection "Status: Connected" with the duration clock ticking along like normal and the speed at 100.0 Mbps as normal. This leads me to believe that there's no wiring problem between the Comtrend and the PC so it just must be the PC. However, the laptop can "see" the PC and vise versa.

I have scanned the PC with Trend Micro and even Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware although the Malwarebytes is probably a month old as I haven't updated it in a month and since the PC can't access the internet, I can't update it now. Both scans come up with nothing. The day before I started having this problem, I deleted nothing, removed nothing, installed nothing or even downloaded nothing. It was connecting fine, then the next day and for the past week, nothing connects. I can't access email, can't use Firefox or IE, can't update virus protections, nothing.

Trend Micro is telling me that "Your Personal Firewall has shut down." I went through the process of reinstalling the firewall, and that message quit popping up but didn't help with connecting to the internet and now, a few days later, it's starting to pop up again so I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. I have downloaded WinsockFix (via my laptop then transferring to the problem PC) and that didn't work. I've exhausted everything I know to do, and frankly, I'm frustrated and working on limited patience.

Any help or recommendation would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a lot of spare money laying around to send this to a computer repair shop, and I have discovered that the shops in my town don't know too much more than I do. The last time I had a problem it dealt with videos not playing correctly. They told me it just must be the videos I'm trying to play (which I knew that wasn't the case as I had played the videos 100 times before and they worked). I payed them for their time and had to take the computer home and find the solution on the internet. So, yeah, this is why I'm not too keen on taking my computer back to a local shop. So, once again, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Storm3

Storm3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Update: I just got my computer connecting to the internet again. A great guy from another website posted a link to get the updates for Malwarebytes' where I could download it to my laptop and then transfer it to the non-working computer. After installing the latest updates, Malwarebytes' found 2 cases of something called malware.trace. After deleting the two malware.trace files, I restarted the computer and it connected to the internet!

I know no one has responded to this problem yet but just wanted to go ahead and let people know how I solved it.