Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

knoppix 3.2 to HD

• Please log in to reply

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
I wanna get a last little life out of my 333 Mhz Gateway laptop.
I have it packed with 98SE on there now. I want it to go a little faster by putting knoppix on it. I have read a few things on the web about it but none of them really helped.

any replies would be great.

thanks all.

Advertisements

the_Jackal

the_Jackal

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Knoppix isnt installed to the hard disk, download it, burn it to CD and boot off it and that's it... Have only used it very very briefly myself so havent really formed an opinion on it as such yet that said one of my mates loves it!

S A A B

S A A B

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
I have the ''original'' knoppix 3.2 cd. I can boot from it and everything but i still have windows 98SE on my HD. Can i take windows off my HD and then still be able to boot from the knoppix cd?(because windows takes lots of space up... lol, only a 2Gb HD)

thanks.

the_Jackal

the_Jackal

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Wow 2Gb.... you could erase windows if you wanted to as knoppix doesnt rely on any other operating system other than knoppix itself, though if i were you i would buy a cheap and cheerful second hand hard disk, keep 98 going for any apps like MS office or whatever else you may use and just use knoppix as and when requires as a second OS. Second hand drives now are so cheap you really wouldnt miss what you spent on it and of course you still get to keep that machine going a while longer till you do decide to go and splash out on a new machine.

S A A B

S A A B

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Thanks, I already have a new laptop but I just like some of the features this laptop has. :tazz: it has a pop-out mouse and it is a very small and light laptop even though it's over 7 years old.

thanks for the help. i Think i will go buy a cheap HD tomorrow after school.

thanks again
-S A A B