Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iexplore.exe continuously crashing

• Please log in to reply

Ldee

Ldee

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello,

If you think this should be somewhere else please move it.

Have a vista system that was infected with some spyware/malware, that has now been completely cleaned off. Have scanned it with spybot, malwarebytes, avg 9 and kaspersky online scanner, nothing now found so that should be ok.

The problem is (and I don't know if this has anything to do with the previous malware situation) that iexplore.exe is always crashing, even though it hasn't even been opened (by the user anyway). Every 2 or 3 minutes or so the same error comes up, I can just move it to the bottom of the screen and leave it there to prevent it coming up again but this is obviously not ideal. Please see my attached image for the full details of the error. When you boot up it all seems fine and then the error will come up, whether you have started ie or not, it always comes up. I looked in task manager and noticed that shortly after the desktop loading up and everything, 2 instances of iexplore.exe are there in the processes, apparently for no reason. The only other strange thing about the system is that when this error started happening the network icon for the wifi and the speaker icon disappeared from the notification area in the bottom right of the screen, I now can't find the checkbox to restore the network icon (was sure it was right there at the bottom of the properties sheet for the wireless network, it's not there though) and when I go to the taskbar and start menu properties the option to add the icon for volume, network and power are all greyed out and unticked, clock is ticked).

Posted Image

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.