Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Window XP System32 corrupt

• Please log in to reply

mantle0213

mantle0213

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I have been working to fix the windows xp system32 config system corrupt error for over a day now. I have read many forums on how to fix it and how to rewrite the files using the windows recovery system, however i am encountering some problems I hope someone can help me with. First, when I try to log in to the windows recovery by pressing R, it asked me for an admin password. Not know if I had one, or what it was I was unable to login. After some research I found a program call offline NT password recovery but it is not able to load the SAM Hive in order to see what the password is or could be because it is corrupt. Secondly I have tried putting the Windows disk in the computer and doing a repair install. When it gets to the parition section, there is no opition to repair install option. Only one to overwrite the system files which I am trying not to do since there are family pictures in the my documents that I am trying to save.

Is there anyother way to log in to the computer so I can try and write the repair files to get the computer to boot? Please help

Computer is a DELL insprion 6000, have also tried the dell restore disk.

Edited by mantle0213, 22 February 2010 - 08:17 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi mantle0213 ... :) ..:)

If you do not have a windows xp disk, download the following file: rc.iso....from here..then run chkdsk /r... from the cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r...then when you get to the prompt...type in chkdsk /r..press enter

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /
While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. or a black dos box depending on on which cd you use... a Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage....
there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang at a certain % for a hour or more...it even will sometimes go back over a area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER OR YOU CAN HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS...it can take a long time depending on how large the drive is...
You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer....

then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

mantle0213

mantle0213

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you so much for your reply

I have loaded the ISO to a disk and it starts the recovery console. Asked me to login to windows, but will not take the administrator password to let me run the chkdsk /r. It says password is not vaild. Tried resetting the password and it cant load the SAM hive to get to the password files.

Any other help?

Edited by mantle0213, 23 February 2010 - 07:47 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try again but this time when it asks for a password just leave it blank and press enter

mantle0213

mantle0213

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks again for your response. I have left it blank and it states invalid password.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we are not allowed to tell how to bypass the required password...so lets try and save your data first...
there two ways to do this...
one is to slave the hard drive to a working computer and copy all the data to that computer or burn to dvd's or both just to be safe...
second option is to use puppy linux...its a linux distro that loads and runs entirely in ram and use it to get copies of your data and put them on a usb flash drive or a external usb hard drive...
below is the guide for using puppy if you choose to go that route...
==================
get puppy linux 2.16.1-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso here...
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. click on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to usb flash drives or a external usb hard drive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

this guide is for using usb flash drives but if you have a external hard drive just substitute your external drive where it says flash drive

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will
mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it ...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window tabout half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that contains your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 16GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash
drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in
again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

mantle0213

mantle0213

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the help advice, will try that. I was wondering if i loaded the windows system files on to a flash usb drive if i would be able to overwrite the corrupted ones using the puppy program

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I don't think so...but I'm not sure...
a couple of things you could try...adjust the canned speech below to which ever method or drive letters you wind up using...its made for using the recovery console to fix the config files...but
you may be able to boot from a Free Boot Disks here and then use something along these lines...using dos from the floppy drive or cd drive if you have 2 or copy the files to a flash drive and move/replace them that way
How to recover registry in the XP recovery console...
At the Windows XP Recovery Console command prompt (C:\WINDOWS>, perform the following steps...

1. Type the following command... cd \
There must be one space between cd and \.
2. Press the Enter key to display a C:\> prompt.
3. Type the following command...cd system~1\_resto~1
Note the underscore character after the backslash.

if a Access is denied message appears ... follow the steps below

1. Type the following command... cd windows\system32\config
2. Press the Enter key.
3. Type the following command...ren system system.bck
4. Press the Enter key.
5. Type the following command... exit
6. Press the Enter key.... The system will restart.

4. Type the following command...dir
5. Press the Enter key.
Among other information, the dir command will list one or more directories, such as RP1, RP2, and RP3. These directories contain Windows XP Restore Point data.
Make note of a recently created RP directory, but not one that was created in the past few minutes.
6. Type the following command...cd rpX
where X equals the restore point data directory number (i.e. RP3) most of the time you would want to select the highest Restore point number.
7. Press the Enter key.
8. Type the following command...cd snapshot
9. Press the Enter key.
10. Now to recover the regestry type in the following commands pressing enter after each one

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy _registry_machine_sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy _registry_machine_security c:\windows\system32\config\security

If asked whether to replace the file, press the Y key and press the Enter key.

11. Type the following command... exit
12. Press the Enter key... The system will restart.
13. Remove the Windows XP CD from the drive as the system begins to restart.