Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp bios stuck

• Please log in to reply

neon256

neon256

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hey there i have windows xp running perfect with all my uni data on it most backed up but need some off it!

i reset my comp but when i rebooted it said missing file nt***.exe something like that and i coulnt get passed that error to load the xp disk.

i then changed the bios to boot from cd in the hope it would bring up the disk, but now it just hangs at the first bios sceen and says press f2 to enter setup!
But f2 will not take it into the bios setup!!!!! :tazz:

how can i make it go into the bios its a phionex series 6 i think plz help

;) ta neon ;)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would pull the plug, open the case, remove the cmos battery (ground yourself first) for 10 seconds then reinsert the battery, reconnect the power, and boot.

neon256

neon256

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
its a laptop and slightly unsure how to do this will it be easyish to spot when open??? any indicators as to anything it will say on the battery? so i know im yanking out the right bit ta for help btw

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
who...laptop...forget what I said. I would never suggest an unexperienced person open a laptop...too much can go wrong. (and it is likely soldered, anyway)

Try this instead.

Unplug, remove battery
press and hold the powerbutton for 10 seconds.

reinsert battery, reinsert power adapter, try to start.

neon256

neon256

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks almost away trying it lol fine with pc's just never dismantled a laptop before i think ill wait till get a upgrade before i take it appart then lol! will try the battery thing then

neon256

neon256

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
gutted the taking battert out route did nothing still hanging there!!am i pretty much screwed now then?is it really that unadvisable to take it appart?
thanks again for quick replies and help :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you've never taken a laptop apart before, and don't have the service manual, it's really a bad idea.

Another option:

Get a bios update for your laptop, flash the bios...that will reset the bios to default settings and should get you back to a bad Windows install, which we can address once we can reach that point

neon256

neon256

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well spank ma [bleep] and call me candy am i lucky!!! lol
i hit all the f* buttons in a rage and went for a cigerette came back 10 mins later and i was in the bios lol!!!!

so im back to a bad xp install the file in question is ntdlr.exe and when i get to that screen the only opp[tion is q-alt-del to restart any ideas on how to get round that all knowledgeable one lol

:tazz: thanks alot neon ;)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
going to assume the obvious and that there is no floppy in he drive or cd in the drive at the moment

Also, is message ntldr is missing, or ntldr.exe is missing (should be the first)

neon256

neon256

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
woops my bad yes its just ntldr is missing i have no floppy drive and there is no cd in the drive!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Set the BIOS to boot CD before Hard Disk. Boot the XP CD and, instead
of Setup, choose R for Repair.

If XP Home, the password is blank, if Pro, you should know the password

when you get to a command line

COPY D:\i386\ntldr C:\
COPY D:\i386\ntdetec C:\
(the second file that may also be missing)
then rebuild the boot configuration boot.ini file by typing the following

Attrib -H -R -S C:\boot.ini (if not found skip the next line)
rename boot.ini boot.bak

then type
BootCfg /Rebuild